New Sumiko subs... looks a bit familiar....

I don't understand this needing a sub with 2 channel, are you guys running speakers with small drivers, speakers that just won't go down that low or is it the room soaking up all the low bass? I've seen rooms that do that more than a few times and it's a strange effect.

Also you might want to consider the jump to going active as passive crossovers are very lossy and the main reason a lot of decent speakers can't get down that low.

I get more than enough very low down bass and it's not a power thing as I'm only using roughly 14w a side but I do run active with a mono block each side just for bass and another each side for mid and treble.

I'm not trying to be superior or anything I'm just curious as there are a lot of ways to lose the low down bass and also get it back that are a lot more effective than just sticking in a sub, sometimes you have to but that's generally when using near field monitors etc.

I've got Maggie Mg3a's, so while there is bass, its hardly full. My active crossover allows me to integrate a sub easily, but getting it to blend can be difficult. I have always wanted to try a sub and will eventually, but placement may be an issue. I am not a bass head by any means, but I do wonder what is going on below say 50hz.

If anything, my speakers kick out too much bass for my space. I have a matching sub, but it is only in play for surround.

If your speakers are ported or transmission lines you can fix that by restricting the porting or airflow a little in the transmission lines or if they are sealed or for any speaker really if adding to the ports/transmission line is a problem add some wadding inside, I find the sticky backed stuff is best on the inside of the cabinets.

Allen- my Veneres go down to ~50hz. Great for most music, but for movies, a little extra would be nice. My previous speakers went to 34hz, and and those 16hz really make a difference. An open room doesn't help.

I see your problem then, yes the lower down the frequency range you can get your main speakers to go the less you need that sub, I bet the limiting factor is in the crossovers although Venere may have done that deliberately if the cabinet design can't pass the air, sometimes it's done to allow the upper mid to sing

I've got Maggie Mg3a's, so while there is bass, its hardly full. My active crossover allows me to integrate a sub easily, but getting it to blend can be difficult. I have always wanted to try a sub and will eventually, but placement may be an issue. I am not a bass head by any means, but I do wonder what is going on below say 50hz.

Getting ribbons to work effectively down low enough can be a problem, They are superb for mid and up as they move so fast but not so for bass, the internal crossovers tend to tail off very sharply below 80Hz so if you run active you might want to try a bass cone per side with the Maggies and their power amps handling everything above 80 to 85Hz and the bass drivers and a separate set of power amps running everything below 90 to 85Hz

If your speakers are ported or transmission lines you can fix that by restricting the porting or airflow a little in the transmission lines or if they are sealed or for any speaker really if adding to the ports/transmission line is a problem add some wadding inside, I find the sticky backed stuff is best on the inside of the cabinets.

This is basically what I have done. The manufacturer (Monitor Audio RX8s) includes foam bungs to close off either the front or rear bass ports in order to tune the bass.

This is basically what I have done. The manufacturer (Monitor Audio RX8s) includes foam bungs to close off either the front or rear bass ports in order to tune the bass.

Try bigger bungs using different lengths and density of foam but be careful you will reach a point where the overall sound starts to sound muddy because that energy needs to go somewhere and if it can't get out it starts to affect the mids and highs.