Check My Vinyl

I know that a lot of you have mentioned your frustration with the choices you have in regards to the "record list" sites available. I felt those frustrations as well and always wanted more functionality out of the site I used, therefore the creation of www.checkmyvinyl.com. I know that this site was mentioned briefly as an alternate option in a previous thread about other sites. We got quite a few new users out of that quick mention which pushed us to do more work to the site and refine/add functionality. Well more work has been done, a lot of things have been refined and added in the last couple weeks and Check My Vinyl is now ready for mass users. We still have a few more cool features tucked away in our back pocket to release in the future and spice up the site a little more, but I think that what we already have available should address a lot of the concerns I have heard mentioned by others.

Here are a few things that Check My Vinyl offers to its users:

Import data from a CSV file

Add images of your records right into your record list

Store private information such as cost or purchase location

Detailed list sorting abilities i.e. sort by band name, record name, wants/haves etc.

Record searching abilities both on individual lists and across all users

User communication both public and private

Create a profile to let others know more about yourself and your collecting desires

Make "buddies" for easy list finding/watching

Multiple ways to edit your record information

Change information across multiple records at once

Tag your own as well as others records

Add records for sale to the MarketPlace for others to easily see

Show off your record collections or other cool photos in the Image Gallery

View and edit the pressing resources page

Export your data as a CSV file for easy back up

I hope to see some of you on the site soon and if you have any problems or questions that can't be answered through the Help section feel free to post on the support forums or send an email to [email protected].

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that could be a real pain but I see you have a google doc spreadsheet so all you have to do is save as a CSV file and import all that info at once. you will not have to retype anything check out the help section to see the step by step instructions on how to do that

this also works for other types of fies such as CSV or TSV which are common export formats from a spreadsheet (excel, googledocs, numbers etc.)

Hey Kellyjanice, I know I offered to make some recommendations and go over your site w/ a fine tooth comb, but I've been pretty busy. I do love it though!

Thanks!!

@ Valentine that is odd sorry maybe something got turned off I will fix this right now sorry

nevermind apparently my other half already saw this and addressed it in the support forums :P

oh don't feel like an idiot at all

when you are uploading it you can use the auto detect format

i am getting ready to go teach a class right now and wont be able to check this again for about 45 minutes but if you are still confused or having trouble and have read the whole help section about uploading, feel free to hit up the support forums and JPW will help you out hw will even uplod it for you if you need :)

Very cool, did you build this on top of Wordpress? As a web guy I am impressed with the functionality you built in.

Would love to see some other apps built off it. Like a Facebook App, maybe a Twitter insert based on new records added.

Actually its built on drupal. As far facebook app, twitter etc. there are things in the works. :)

Very cool, did you build this on top of Wordpress? As a web guy I am impressed with the functionality you built in.

Would love to see some other apps built off it. Like a Facebook App, maybe a Twitter insert based on new records added.

Actually its built on drupal. As far facebook app, twitter etc. there are things in the works. :)

The things you can do w/ Drupal are amazing.

Kelly or jpw, you should add more format sizes. 6", 2x12", 2x10", 3x12", etc... These are all formats that I own, but cannot enter.

Overall I like the site. Good job!

EDIT: also is it possible to make the haves and wants on two seperate lists? I would much rather view it that way, for my list and others I am viewing.

Kelly or jpw, you should add more format sizes. 6", 2x12", 2x10", 3x12", etc... These are all formats that I own, but cannot enter.

Overall I like the site. Good job!

EDIT: also is it possible to make the haves and wants on two seperate lists? I would much rather view it that way, for my list and others I am viewing.

The easiest way currently to show just haves or wants like you say is to use the drop down menu at the top of your list. There you can choose to show "have" or "want". you can also limit size(s) you wish to view there as well. If using the filter menu at the top of the list doesn't do quite what you want. Say for example you want to be able to pass people a clean link that is just your wants. I can build that functionality in to it.

I'll try to get the sizes added you mentioned, but it might not be right away. I'll look at it tonight though when I get home.