Comics (possible spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a lot of good places to start with daredevil. it all depends on how you want to read it.

if you want to be a true purist, start with frank miller.

if you want to start with the best origin story, start with daredevil: yellow.

if you want to plow through the volume 2 stuff, start with kevin smith.

if you want to go through the most current huge continuity arc, start with bendis.

if you want to just read the best stuff, read the ed brubaker stuff.

anybody get good stuff for free comic book day? anybody's store running good sales? i won a hardcover copy of "the dark tower: the gunslinger born" in a raffle.

No local comic shop = no free comic book day. :-/

Can anyone tell me which Daredevil graphic novel to start with?

Check out Frank Miller & John Romita Jr.'s "The Man Without Fear" for the best telling of the origin story. Then I would recommend all three "Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller" books. That should give you a good start on the character.

I guess I spoke too soon on the FCBD thing. I got my monthly package today from the place that I mailorder my comics. They threw in a FCBD book called "The Stuff Of Legend" from a publisher named Third World Studios. I've never heard of the book or publisher before, but it actually does look pretty cool. I like the artwork in it at least. Haven't read it yet though.

ya know, i really like the first 2 flash rebirth issues. i think so far it's a really great story and it's setting things up for some really interesting turns, and i don't feel like i automatically know where it's going, like i do with lot's of mainstream/superhero stuff. i've read a few complaints about the end of #2, but it didn't bother me. BUT, i don't really have any connection or investment in the flash. i know the general history, but i'm not a long time flash reader, i started with this b/c i've grown to really like geoff johns recently.

Emerald Dawn is awesome. there was a lot of re-tooling of Hal Jordan in the 90's after he became a villan when he was Parallax. but then ultimately sacrifices himself. and then thats when Re-birth starts.

Re-birth to the new on-going series is all awesome.

the Green Arrow/Green Lantern stories from the 70's are also cool. being as they deal with more social issues then intergalatic issues. but i'm unsure if they are available in TPB form, however i would go and track dawn the issues where they find out Green Arrows sidekick is addicted to heroin, classic stuff.

anyways, Green Lantern is my favorite superhero ever. So stoked on the animated film DC is doing, but still hold up hope for a live action movie.

Emerald Dawn is awesome. there was a lot of re-tooling of Hal Jordan in the 90's after he became a villan when he was Parallax. but then ultimately sacrifices himself. and then thats when Re-birth starts.

Re-birth to the new on-going series is all awesome.

the Green Arrow/Green Lantern stories from the 70's are also cool. being as they deal with more social issues then intergalatic issues. but i'm unsure if they are available in TPB form, however i would go and track dawn the issues where they find out Green Arrows sidekick is addicted to heroin, classic stuff.

anyways, Green Lantern is my favorite superhero ever. So stoked on the animated film DC is doing, but still hold up hope for a live action movie.

So the Green Lantern announced for 2010 is animated?

no, green lantern animated comes out this summer, live action is 2010.

the arc where hal jordan becomes parallax is actually quite good, i mean, it's crazy, and they totally throw hal jordan over the cliff, but it's good.

the geoff johns rebirth (and on) series is bad ass, and a great place to start. it has it's "huh?" moments, but overall it is pretty damn great. he does an excellent job of explaining everything and giving you everything you need as a backstory almost instantly, and then just dives right into the story. but he really puts jordan back into a position of reverence that he deserves.

i believe the arrow/lantern stories are collected into a big volume ala the showcase collections.

on a related note, my dad's name is hal jordan. beat that, nerds.