Comics (possible spoilers)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this week in pull list's:

daredevil #119 - super super excited for this book. delayed, and there is gonna be a 2 month break until issue #500 comes out, but i love me some daredevil, especially bru daredevil.

detective comics #854 - greg rucka? jh williams iii? batwoman? check, check, and check. i've been waiting for this book for some time now... can't wait to see how it turns out.

green lantern #42 - the cliffhanger at the end of #41 really got me excited for this one. with the impending doom of blackest night, shit is starting to hit the fan.

unknown soldier #9 - fuck, this book is soooo good. you're a chump if you're not reading this.

viking #2 - #1 was a bit of a headscratcher, but the art is unbelievable, and the overall production is top notch.

wolvie noir #3 - not great, not terrible, a little clunky, good enough to keep reading.

• 1 month later...

So... now Marvel owns the rights to Marvelman (aka Miracleman).

I'm glad that this series will finally get reprinted. I will certainly be buying the TPBs or HCs. I won't be too excited about any new issues featuring Miracleman unless Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman is writing it though.

There are two things I'm worried about...

1) I really hope Marvel doesn't make the character part of the regular Marvel Universe.

2) I'm betting that Marvel will milk this for all it's worth. I won't be surprised if they reprint it one issue at a time, charge $4.99 each for them and wait until they reprint every issue before they reprint the TPBs.

I'm glad that this series will finally get reprinted. I will certainly be buying the TPBs or HCs. I won't be too excited about any new issues featuring Miracleman unless Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman is writing it though.

1) I really hope Marvel doesn't make the character part of the regular Marvel Universe.

2) I'm betting that Marvel will milk this for all it's worth. I won't be surprised if they reprint it one issue at a time, charge $4.99 each for them and wait until they reprint every issue before they reprint the TPBs.

whoa this is big news. my sister and i have been waiting for this to be reprinted.

Supposedly Neil Gaiman had already written the end of the series with at least one issue that was fully finished but never published as Eclipse folded before it was printed.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I really wish DC would have been able to pick this up rather than Marvel. Marvel has zero artistic integrity as far as I'm concerned and will probably destroy the character.

I'd love to know the details of this but I'm sure the behind the scenes bullshit and politics of this will never be fully told. I think that Marvel held some rights to the name to begin with, so maybe that helped their positioning. I'm also curious to see if McFarlane will somehow make a comeback to throw a monkey wrench into this like the true villain that he is.

i've never read the miracle/marvel man stuff, but i've heard from a lot of people that while it is good, part of the reason it's achieved such legend is because it's impossible to find, and that as far as gaiman and moore's work, it's not their respective pinnacles of quality. that being said, i'm still interested in it, as i'm curious as to what all the fuss is all about after all this time. and like kurtz, i'm expecting marvel to milk this. i was really surprised that this was pretty much marvel's only big comic-con announcement.

i've never read the miracle/marvel man stuff, but i've heard from a lot of people that while it is good, part of the reason it's achieved such legend is because it's impossible to find, and that as far as gaiman and moore's work, it's not their respective pinnacles of quality. that being said, i'm still interested in it, as i'm curious as to what all the fuss is all about after all this time. and like kurtz, i'm expecting marvel to milk this. i was really surprised that this was pretty much marvel's only big comic-con announcement.

Moore's stuff is on par with any of his more famous works. Gaiman's work was pretty much the first he had done in the comic industry but was solid. There were flaws and loose ends, but who knows what he had planned for the series.

Will it ever be as beloved as the Watchmen and Sandman? Doubtful. How many series can really compete with those two anyway?

I'd love to know the details of this but I'm sure the behind the scenes bullshit and politics of this will never be fully told. I think that Marvel held some rights to the name to begin with, so maybe that helped their positioning. I'm also curious to see if McFarlane will somehow make a comeback to throw a monkey wrench into this like the true villain that he is.

Apparantly Mick Anglo, the original creator of Marvelman, owned the rights to the character all along. Marvel bought the rights from him. The Moore and Gaiman stories are both creator owned though so Marvel will need to get the rights to those stories from each of them (as well as the artists). I have read that Moore is okay with it being reprinted and plans on having all of his profit going directly to Mick Anglo. I also read that Gaiman is okay with the reprinting and wants to finish that last issue.

Apparantly Mick Anglo, the original creator of Marvelman, owned the rights to the character all along. Marvel bought the rights from him. The Moore and Gaiman stories are both creator owned though so Marvel will need to get the rights to those stories from each of them (as well as the artists). I have read that Moore is okay with it being reprinted and plans on having all of his profit going directly to Mick Anglo. I also read that Gaiman is okay with the reprinting and wants to finish that last issue.

I just wonder what they did to make McFarlane go away.

I just wonder what they did to make McFarlane go away.

took that mark mcgwire baseball off his hands.

• 2 weeks later...
i loved the green lantern movie, i thought it was awesome, i've been really impressed with the DC animated movies that i've seen. First flight is defintely my favorite.

This movie was pretty good. Nothing amazing but definately a solid flick.

I really liked Superman/Doomsday and New Frontier also. Gotham Knight was awful though.

I figured I'd write a little summary of what I've been reading lately for anyone who cares...

Demo - by Brian Wood & Becky Cloonan. - I don’t understand why this book gets so much praise. I thought the stories were very hit or miss and I was not into the art at all. Overall… thumbs down.

Northlanders - The first story arc of this series kicked ass. I’ve been rather disappointed with everything since. I’m seriously considering dropping the book.

Rex Mundi - Book 5: The Valley At The End Of The World. - This series just keeps getting better and better. Makes me wish I was buying the monthly issues rather than waiting for the trades.

Spider-man: Kraven’s Last Hunt - I’ve never been a huge Spider-man fan, but being a fan of comics in general I try to check out all the classic stories. And this one absolutely is a classic! One of the best Spider-man tales I have read and also one of the darkest. It’s amazing how much depth they give to such a lame villain like Kraven in this book. Highly recommended!

Battlefields: Tankies - I like most of Garth Ennis’ war comics. Unfortunately this was one of his weaker books. Both of the other Battlefields books were great. I wouldn’t recommend this one though.

Bite Club #1-6 - I bought this whole six issue series for $1. That dollar was not well spent. This book sucked.

Unwritten - Too soon to say how good this book will be, but I like where it’s headed.

Elephantmen - Continues to be one of the best comics going.

The Great Fables Crossover - Lived up to it’s name. Great! Fables and Jack of Fables are my favorite books currently going. The next storyline with “Mister Dark” has me really excited.

Immortal Weapons - One of the two Marvel books I am still buying. (the other being Daredevil). The first issue focusing on Fat Cobra was great. It almost makes me forget the $4 price tag… almost. I just hope that when they bring back the Immortal Iron Fist book after this mini is over, the price is not $4.

Muppet Robin Hood - The art on this book is fucking awesome! The story is very pedestrian though.

Back Issue Magazine - This is the comics magazine for me! I can’t believe it took me so long to finally check it out. It’s all about comics in the 70’s, 80’s, and into the early 90’s.

Wednesday Comics - I got the first few issues of this. I haven’t decided if I want to read them as they come out or wait ‘til I have the whole series and read them all at once. They got so many big names on this project. I am not stoked on the $4 price though.

i loved the green lantern movie, i thought it was awesome, i've been really impressed with the DC animated movies that i've seen. First flight is defintely my favorite.

This movie was pretty good. Nothing amazing but definately a solid flick.

I really liked Superman/Doomsday and New Frontier also. Gotham Knight was awful though.

actually the one that impressed me a lot because i went into it thinking it was going to suck was Wonder Woman.

what i've been reading that rules:

detective comics - greg rucka, jh williams iii, dave stewart. these guys are KILLING it. these are comic books like they've never been done before.

blackest night - yeah, this has been ruling, tons of murder. and the batman tie-in is looking good too.

marvels project - i loved this.

darwyn cooke's the spirit - darwyn cooke is a fucking master.

• 4 weeks later...

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK Marvel.

So, as some of you know, the only comic book artist I collect is Frank Cho. I buy every book that features any of his art and my collection is completely up to date (minus one book).

Cho has always done a good number of variant covers for various books. I sort of liked that because I get to see him draw alot of different characters. Just last week I bought his variant cover for Astounding Wolf-Man #18. I don't like spending $10-$20 on one book, but I don't mind making exceptions for my favorite artist.

So Mavel decided to take this variant cover idea to the extreme and completely screw me over as someone who collects this artist. Every single one of those shitty "Dark Reign: The List" one-shots has a 1:100 Frank Cho variant cover. The retail price on each one...$70! Fuck you Marvel.

And the worst part is, the art they are using for the variant covers wasn't even made with those books in mind. Cho did the box art for Hasbro's latest line of Marvel action figures and now Marvel is using that box art for these $70 varaint covers.

Thanks for flushing my hopes at a complete collection down the drain Marvel.