What i got to listen to at work today...

Where do you work that would have that kind of setup? And can we get specs?

I work for a high end audio/video store.

The Specs

The Record Player is the McIntosh MT10 hooked to the McIntosh C2200 Vacuum Tube Amplifier connected with MIT Magnum Level 3 Interconnects.

The PreAmp is connected to (2) McIntosh MC501 Power Monoblocks with MIT Shotgun Level 2 Balanced Audio Cables. The Preamp also has a MIT Magnum AC Power Chord.

The Monoblocks go to the speakers with MIT Shotgun Level 1 Speaker Wire to Dynaudio C2s.

All the equipment is plugged into a IT-REF20 Furman Power Conditioner / Line filter.

no. you couldnt be more wrong. youre entire argument is full of assumptions and complete disregard for the technical aspects of music.

why is $20,000 worth of equipment worth listening to?

because it is capable of producing higher quality sounds across the audio spectrum. The capacity to reproduce highs and lows is so much greater than that of your average stereo system.

and i hate to be the one that tells you guys this, but punk has probably the smallest spectral footprint of any other genre. guitars bass and drums simply lack the sort of range found in horns or stings (for example). Its not to say that the music itself is better or worse, thats completely subjective and i am presenting a completely objective argument.

listening to punk on a great stereo system like this isn't something to brag about. Its like watching low quality VHS tapes on your expensive 1080i TV. Its only going to amplify the flaws.

no. you couldnt be more wrong. youre entire argument is full of assumptions and complete disregard for the technical aspects of music.

why is $20,000 worth of equipment worth listening to?

because it is capable of producing higher quality sounds across the audio spectrum. The capacity to reproduce highs and lows is so much greater than that of your average stereo system.

and i hate to be the one that tells you guys this, but punk has probably the smallest spectral footprint of any other genre. guitars bass and drums simply lack the sort of range found in horns or stings (for example). Its not to say that the music itself is better or worse, thats completely subjective and i am presenting a completely objective argument.

listening to punk on a great stereo system like this isn't something to brag about. Its like watching low quality VHS tapes on your expensive 1080i TV. Its only going to amplify the flaws.

You're mixing your argument. VHS is low quality video recording. Punk is a type of music, not a quality or an insinuation of quality, well not recording quality anyways.

If an amazing system doesn't work well with music with a small spectral footprint, as you put it, then quiet parts of all music would be bad. What you're saying is you're assuming "punk" records to be recorded poorly. That's a big assumption and no true when it comes to bands with access to better equipment, even bands that don't seem like they would, could, because they "know" people.

And he did mention ska, which includes, at its best, a ton of horns. There's also a ton of "punk" records that incorporate horns and strings.

im aware that there are punk bands out there that add string sections, of course i am generalizing, but the punk bands with high quality equipment and decent string sections are the exceptions to the rule.

98% of punk bands are guitar bass and drums. these instruments just do not have anything close the sort of range that a system like this is capable of producing.

first off... it is free for me to listen to it

second... its FREE for me to listen to it.

I've listened to all kinds of Punk records on it and some of them sound amazing, and some sound damn right awful...

but hey, its fun to listen to records on equipment that cost more than the records cost to produce...

yes, the full range of sound that they can create is amazing... and you know what its enjoyable to listen to the recordings... no matter how shitty they are...

Why so serious???

plus has anyone here ever watched a VHS tape on a $60K projector with a 130" curved screen from 12 feet away???

i have... It does look like shit... but i have...

and to comment on this..

he's wasting ~$20,000 dollars worth of equipment listening to things that were never constructed to be listened to on equipment like that.

I'm listening to a record on a record player... I'm pretty sure that's what it was made to do...

lastly, i got to enjoy these records on some of the finest equipment produced to do so... that's a good enough reason for me to do it...