NFL Discussion

It certainly has been a tumultous 22 years for me.

Today though, they brought that glimmer of hope.

They lost Cliff Avril though - going to Seattle

Yup. It wasn't bad. I had already written off Avril so no sting there.

But one playoff game in my lifetime (at least, one game where I was old enough to remember it) and it was a shellacking by the Saints.

love the Packers sitting back and watching.  hope they Steven Jackson at RB, but if they dont get a deal done, I dont really care, honestly.  The offense is not a problem, its the OLine, to an extent, and CB/FS on D.  but I dont think they'll address CB/Safety in free agency, I think they'll continue to draft and develop in those positions.  Really was kind of let down with Nick Perry... but Casey Hayward was sick, so one CB letdown, another stepped up.

Yup. It wasn't bad. I had already written off Avril so no sting there.

But one playoff game in my lifetime (at least, one game where I was old enough to remember it) and it was a shellacking by the Saints.

Losing Avril is going to hurt, but they seem to be making some smart signings.  You also have to like their chances of filling some holes with the Draft.  The last 4 years they've been very smart with their draft picks (with the exception of Titus Young).

minor "sky is falling" panic is beginning to form on the defensive end.

the positives

ladarius webb will be returning from his injury and will once again be the shut down corner that he was.

with that injury, the other corners really stepped up

courtney upshaw will be entering year 2 and i think he will make a big impact especially with kruger gone

suggs will be a year removed from injury.

still not concerned about q, would of loved to get amendola, however; there is plenty of talent out there.

canty, canty, canty

have ngata, rice, flacco, pitta, and dickson locked down for awhile.

ozzie newsome

the negatives

leadership on defense, not too concerned if reed stays, but if he doesn't the ravens will be losing some very outspoken leaders in lewis, reed, and pollard.

Ravens run a 3-4 defense and might lose 3 starting linebackers and both starting safeties, right? I don't think there is a way to spin that as a good thing. I mean, if Upshaw was better than Kruger he would have been on the field more often.

I mean, I don't really know enough about them personally to say I am an expert or anything but when other teams are dishing out nice contracts to a bunch of your players to take them away, you have to be bummed out.

Losing Avril is going to hurt, but they seem to be making some smart signings.  You also have to like their chances of filling some holes with the Draft.  The last 4 years they've been very smart with their draft picks (with the exception of Titus Young).

I would disagree but maybe I'm just harsh on them.

2012: There are questions about whether Reiff can even be a starting RT. Broyles was a bad pick (too much risk and not a position of need at the time). Bill Bentley might be a starting #2 corner. We'll see. Other picks don't look promising. Joique Bell was a good FA but if he was anything more than a nice surprise, they wouldn't have just spent their money on Reggie.

2011: Leshoure doesn't have it. At least he got some playing time but he's not living up to a second round pick. Titus...blegh. Might as well have taken Fairly and gone home.

2010: Suh has looked like a hall of famer in one season and overpaid in the other 2. Best...blegh. Spievey played but he shouldn't. Sucks. Willie Young and Jason Fox are still on the team but backups. I guess that is OK use of 4th and 7th round picks.

2009: Stafford is a legit starting QB but they pay him so freaking much it cripples their ability to do other things. They are paying for Brady and getting Bledsoe. Pettigrew...for a first round TE he is a bust. Delmas is one of my favorite players but can't stay healthy. Can't blame them there. Levy in the 3rd. He plays but he should be a backup. Sammie Lee hill was one of our better draft picks over the 4 years but what good is it when you bury him on the depth chart behind Suh and Fairley so he leaves.

So yeah, there are some good players in there. But the ones that you do want on your team are high draft picks that get paid a ton of money. They have ZERO track record of picking a guy in the 3rd round or later and developing him into a legit starting NFL player. If they had just taken Harrison Smith instead of Reiff last year...

Ravens run a 3-4 defense and might lose 3 starting linebackers and both starting safeties, right? I don't think there is a way to spin that as a good thing. I mean, if Upshaw was better than Kruger he would have been on the field more often.

I mean, I don't really know enough about them personally to say I am an expert or anything but when other teams are dishing out nice contracts to a bunch of your players to take them away, you have to be bummed out.

upshaw had 38 total tackles, plus 22 assist, and 2 forced fumbles.  kruger had 30 total tackles, plus 12 assist, and 1 FF.  obviously he was huge in the sack department, but with upshaw seeing more time and terrell suggs healthy that won't hurt.  especially saving millions of dollars.  it took 5 years for kruger to have that kind of season when upshaw was doing great numbers as a rookie this season.

kruger hardly played in the super bowl because he was a huge liability in the run game (and had been all season)

the kruger loss, that doesn't bum me out at all.  cleveland was way overzealous to pay him a contract as if he is the number 1 player at his position.  

ellerbee is replaceable, i'm definitely upset about pollard, but i think that is more of a locker room issue and if thats the case, i want him out of there.

Yeah you can't consider Upshaw and Kruger an even swap. Look at every linebacker in the league's stats. There are big tackle number guys. There are big sack number guys. I don't know if there are guys that are elite at both. So to dismiss Kruger's sacks and compare them on tackles is playing with the numbers.

Not saying Upshaw can't step up, just that it is far from an even swap at this particular moment. I would love to have Upshaw on my team. We just resigned effing Deandre Levy and still don't have anyone on the other side. At least Tulloch can be a steady factor.

Wasn't Pollard the team's leading tackler? You might be fine with him leaving because of his attitude but he is going to be missed on the field.

So again, not saying the team is shit. There are a lot of pieces to like. But as far as being a legit superbowl contender, I see them as rebuilding. If your standard is just winning more games than losing and making the playoffs with a "see what happens" attitude, they are fine.

Yeah you can't consider Upshaw and Kruger an even swap. Look at every linebacker in the league's stats. There are big tackle number guys. There are big sack number guys. I don't know if there are guys that are elite at both. So to dismiss Kruger's sacks and compare them on tackles is playing with the numbers.

Not saying Upshaw can't step up, just that it is far from an even swap at this particular moment. I would love to have Upshaw on my team. We just resigned effing Deandre Levy and still don't have anyone on the other side. At least Tulloch can be a steady factor.

Wasn't Pollard the team's leading tackler? You might be fine with him leaving because of his attitude but he is going to be missed on the field.

So again, not saying the team is shit. There are a lot of pieces to like. But as far as being a legit superbowl contender, I see them as rebuilding. If your standard is just winning more games than losing and making the playoffs with a "see what happens" attitude, they are fine.

Upshaw was drafted because he was an excellent pass rusher and now that kruger is gone, he can fill that roll.

Like I said, Pollard is the only loss that I'm truly upset about. However, with other money freed up, he might be right back. Let him test FA and see how it goes.

i think the ravens will still win the division and i feel like thats all you can ask for. after that, anything can happen as far as winning the super bowl. in recent history its been the teams playing in the opening wild card round. all that matters is momentum.

My point is just that if Upshaw was a better pass rusher than Kruger, he would have had the 9 sacks last year. So I'm not saying that going with Upshaw wasn't the right move when you factor in age, money, and potential but you are giving up a guy who can for sure rush the passer for a guy who might be able to. It's not a move you want to see in the short term for your team.