NFL Discussion

In my lifetime I've seen the Giants go 4-1 in Super Bowls. That means that since 1986 they've appeared in nearly 20% of all Super Bowls. They haven't had a losing season since 2004. They've consistently drafted well and developed talent. 

There are a couple teams in that period to have more success. I will stand by Reese and the Mara's 100%. The convenience of being a Giants fan is that you share a building with a team that is the epitome of how not to run a club. The Jets give instant verification to the Giants excellent management. 

yes, they won 2 super bowls in the past 10 years, thats pretty impressive, however, besides that there isn't much impressive about those other 8 years.  besides those 2 super bowls, they have won zero playoff games and missed the playoffs 5 times.  thats an extremely inconstant program.

the thing lebowski is talking about is the year they won as a wildcard i believe, he was almost out the door and then the next two seasons they missed the playoffs, he was almost out the door again.

Oh they only won 2 Superbowls, yea they are terrible. Come on guys I hate the Giants but that makes no sense. If the Eagles win 2 Superbowls for me they can take the rest of the decade off. 

Almost firing Coughlin seems to work, they should do it more often.

Oh they only won 2 Superbowls, yea they are terrible. Come on guys I hate the Giants but that makes no sense. If the Eagles win 2 Superbowls for me they can take the rest of the decade off. 

Almost firing Coughlin seems to work, they should do it more often.

like i said, WINNING 2 SUPER BOWLS is very impressive, however its not likely, in 10 years winning 2 super bowls and not winning 1 playoff game outside of those super bowl wins sounds fluky.  that there is obviously something wrong, not even winning 1 playoff game.

AGAIN, 2 SUPER BOWLS IS IMPRESSIVE

like i said, WINNING 2 SUPER BOWLS is very impressive, however its not likely, in 10 years winning 2 super bowls and not winning 1 playoff game outside of those super bowl wins sounds fluky.  that there is obviously something wrong, not even winning 1 playoff game.

AGAIN, 2 SUPER BOWLS IS IMPRESSIVE

So each of the 8 playoff games they won to get those Super Bowls was a fluke? I wish my teams were "fluky" 20% of the seasons. 

It's completely inconsistent. They got hot at the right time. From an owners stand point, having the a chance to play for the Lombardi every year is the goal, they haven't met that goal. There is some luck to winning a sb, ask Baltimore. If you have a sb calibear team. You should be in the hunt. Great programs right now, gb, pats, 9ers, Baltimore, Pitt (first playoff miss in long time) seem to have a differnt teir of owners.

Every Super Bowl champ is hot at the right time, every champion of every sport can say the same. The 49ers have 2 winning seasons in a row, before that they did very little for a decade. I agree that the rest of your list is more consistent but I still think Championships are more important to owners, fans, and players.

Every Super Bowl champ is hot at the right time, every champion of every sport can say the same. The 49ers have 2 winning seasons in a row, before that they did very little for a decade. I agree that the rest of your list is more consistent but I still think Championships are more important to owners, fans, and players.

i only include the 49ers because a new owner took over in 2010 and a new coach in 2011.  they turned that organization around and are continuing to make very smart decisions.

and i agree, championships shut people up.  it is the most prized, completely agree, i just think that they don't have a very consistent club.

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/NFL-owners-approve-crown-of-helmet-rule-change?ref=7317

crown of helmet rule approved.  considering pollard doesn't know how to wrap up a defender and just hit with his helmet when he tackles, i'm glad ravens won't be giving up 15 yard penalties anytime the ball would go his way.

also, this is a stupid fucking rule.  there are going to be sooooo many flags.

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/NFL-owners-approve-crown-of-helmet-rule-change?ref=7317

crown of helmet rule approved. considering pollard doesn't know how to wrap up a defender and just hit with his helmet when he tackles, i'm glad ravens won't be giving up 15 yard penalties anytime the ball would go his way.

also, this is a stupid fucking rule. there are going to be sooooo many flags.

Are the penalties going to be assessed from line of scrimmage or spot of the foul?

Urlacher leaves the Bears. That one is pretty surprising.

From a purely sentimental standpoint (and not from a viewpoint of impact to a team's probability of winning) Jason Hanson leaving the Lions is more surprising. Been with the team since 1994. Assuming he is only bluffing at playing elsewhere and his options are kick here one more year or retire.

We got Delmas back on a team friendly deal. I forget the specifics but I believe a lot of his salary / bonuses are tied to him playing at least most of a season.

From a purely sentimental standpoint (and not from a viewpoint of impact to a team's probability of winning) Jason Hanson leaving the Lions is more surprising. Been with the team since 1994. Assuming he is only bluffing at playing elsewhere and his options are kick here one more year or retire.

We got Delmas back on a team friendly deal. I forget the specifics but I believe a lot of his salary / bonuses are tied to him playing at least most of a season.

Damn I didn't hear about Hanson leaving. That really is crazy.

Also: 1000 posts!

From what I understand, the team is kinda treating it like they are between letting him go and bringing him back, so they just offered him the vet minimum. I guess he wants a little more than that.

I think the team is playing it right. It's not like it does a ton for his career at this point whether he kicks or retires. He's a Lions hall of famer. Would have been an NFL hall of famer if he had kicked 20 years with a team that won a few Super Bowls in there. Nothing he could have done.

bummed about reed, i was really looking forward to seeing him lead the defense without ray.  i wish i could say i wish ed the best, but i really hope he regrets his decision in houston instead.  i hope he is injury free there, but that he can't do what he used to be able to and with that defense.

who takes over the defense now?  suggs is outspoken enough.  maybe canty? seems like a stand up guy and very excited to be a raven.

dumervill seemed underwhelmed with denvers offer, hopefully baltimore can pitch something good, especially with the loss of reed.

Pretty sure it is super bowl or bust for the Broncos now...there is no excuse for letting that happen (regardless of who the blame is laid on) and the only way to spin it positively is if at the end of next season they can say "hey, it contributed to us winning a championship". Anything less and people are going to wonder "what if".