Why the anti GZ (pressing plant) sentiment?

Bill Smith Custom Records!

just to chime in on the support of bill smith. they got plates from us in the middle of last week and we have tests as of yesterday. color me stoked.

I have only used them for a 7" long ago, but hear nothing but great things about them, I was actually on there site today totalling up a possible order, not cheap at all!, but from everything I hear and have seen it is well worth it. I know Mutant Pop uses them often.

Good luck on your pressing! :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting discussion.... I was in touch with Pirates Press once, and I think they are great guys, the communication was great and quick.

I am German and I work on my label Arctic Rodeo Recordings over here. The reason why I got in touch with Pirates Press in the US was that it seemed to be IMPOSSIBLE getting in touch with GZ directly - I tried several times over months via e-mail, telephone, but I didn't get any reply at all, and noone picked up the phone, noone! So that's pretty weird - a European pressing plant that doesn't reply to a German label over months so I thought of trying by talking to a US partner..... strange. .

Anyway, I have found a different way of working with GZ by getting together with a German partner, so it finally happened. But that was the beginning of a big catastrophe. I worked with GZ twice, and I think the quality is absolutely okay. The covers/jackets aren't great (I don't think Pirates Press have the same ones in the US....), but I think the vinyl and the labels are pretty good.

No, the big big problem seems to their customer service (if you want to call it like that....), the delays, the communication (that actually doesn't happen). Both vinyl releases we had pressed by GZ had been horribly delayed. Our partner told me it would take GZ about 3 weeks, and it actually took them more than 2 months! So we got in big trouble because our distributor was waiting for the records, we had orders and everyone was pissed off. It was a desaster.

We worked with an excellent pressing plant in The Netherlands afterwards, and they are absolutly amazing. Great customer service, fantastic quality, nice color options (no splattered vinyl, but lots of colors and mixed colors to a marbled look and stuff). I recommend them without any restrictions so far. They are called "Record Industry" ( http://www.recordindustry.com ). They do pressings for a lot of European labels.

I think that´s the plant that did all the european pressings for CBS/Sony/Epic back in the day. They were always high quality pressings. The new ALK3 euro press is also pressed by them.

Their vinyl colors also look quite nice.

Are they way more expensive than GZ?

Well, they are more expensive, but I think it's worth it. It was such a big difference working with thses guys - everything is pretty easy, mails are being replied within a few hours, problems discussed, and they really have an eye on the quality - they check out the test pressings themselves very well, and if it doesn't turn out to be the way it's supposed to, they find out themselves and don't even send the testing but work it over again. They really care about the quality, they check the length of the records and the songs, they check the masters that are sent in - GZ don't give a shit about all that. If you need any further infos, please feel free to send me a personal message.

just to chime in on the support of bill smith. they got plates from us in the middle of last week and we have tests as of yesterday. color me stoked.

I have only used them for a 7" long ago, but hear nothing but great things about them, I was actually on there site today totalling up a possible order, not cheap at all!, but from everything I hear and have seen it is well worth it. I know Mutant Pop uses them often.

Good luck on your pressing! :)

theyre local to me so i catch a break from them since i can go to them and physically pick up the records. no ridiculous shipping charges for me. ill probably stick with them or rainbo for future releases.

theyre local to me so i catch a break from them since i can go to them and physically pick up the records. no ridiculous shipping charges for me. ill probably stick with them or rainbo for future releases.

This is why I chose Musicol to work with.

I might have to bite the bullet next release and pay for shipping from another plant.