Why the anti GZ (pressing plant) sentiment?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so....the sand or dust on records ppl keep bitching about: get a carbon fiber brush for 5 bucks..

seriously....thats like the dumbest arguement ive ever heard to not listen to a record...all you do is put the record on yr turn table, have it start spinning then take your brush in hand and GENTLY hold it on the record while it spins....a couple revolutions and WA-LA! no more dust! come on ppl...common sense...

With the way the economy is right now, it's kind of fucked up to press a record overseas when you could pay a few cents extra and support American families. It's little things like this that will pull the country out of this mess.

common misconception. Pressing through Pirates Press/GZ is MORE EXPENSIVE than pressing through a majority of U.S. pressing plants.

Nobody is outsourcing to save a couple bucks...the quality provided by GZ is just 10xs better (in my opinion) and worth more money.

Guest afsdan
You miss the point. If I need to do work to play my new record, something is wrong here. They should clean that shit off at the factory.

you should be cleaning dust off yer records almost every time you throw something on your turntable.

Guest afsdan
With the way the economy is right now, it's kind of fucked up to press a record overseas when you could pay a few cents extra and support American families. It's little things like this that will pull the country out of this mess.

common misconception. Pressing through Pirates Press/GZ is MORE EXPENSIVE than pressing through a majority of U.S. pressing plants.

Nobody is outsourcing to save a couple bucks...the quality provided by GZ is just 10xs better (in my opinion) and worth more money.

just depends on the job. 1 of my 2 jobs done thru PP was cheaper than it would have been if we went domestic.

plus....there is no beating Direct Metal Mastering. End of discussion

You miss the point. If I need to do work to play my new record, something is wrong here. They should clean that shit off at the factory.

you should be cleaning dust off yer records almost every time you throw something on your turntable.

If you don't allow them to become dusty, you don't have to.

In the Pirates Ppress literature they state that, "We always try to transcribe the recording in the highest possible level (as loud as possible) given the limitations of the medium." and I find this a little disconcerting. It seems that they have bought into the loudness war which is a really dumb thing to do, especially with vinyl where the volume effects the playablity (trackability) of the medium.

I've never had the dust on the records, maybe with the haze that happens?, they do the haze simply by waiting for a certain color to go through, and then not cleaning the machine from the dust particles,

Splatter, 50/50, streaks, and even splatter, i have never had a problem.

It may be due to the virgin as well? not sure.

That does seem like a minor gripe though.

With URP you risk papercuts from the incredibly thin, almost invisible sideways, thin thin vinyl, unless you pay the upcharge to make it a normal weight of 140.

I've never had the dust on the records, maybe with the haze that happens?, they do the haze simply by waiting for a certain color to go through, and then not cleaning the machine from the dust particles,

Splatter, 50/50, streaks, and even splatter, i have never had a problem.

It may be due to the virgin as well? not sure.

That does seem like a minor gripe though.

With URP you risk papercuts from the incredibly thin, almost invisible sideways, thin thin vinyl, unless you pay the upcharge to make it a normal weight of 140.

I think the dust is from the haze only, for the 20th time any splatter that has the dust probably is a haze/splatter combination.

the urp upcharge is only like 4 cents a record...

from what i have heard PP is gonna raise the prices of there vinyl.

i have a ton of records from UPR and not one of them sounds like shit. most of them sound better then most of the records i have from PP.

They've already raised the prices, but they were really cool about it, any quote anyone got before they announced that were still honored.

Like the 2000 bucks for 500 records deal they have up now, used to be around 1600 bucks etc, etc,

I guess I have gotten on the defensive about PP, sorry.

I have just never had any of the problems mentioned in here. Again I think it has a lot to do with your rep as well.

URP I am sure is ok for most people. Different stokes.

Kinda sucks how one bad experience can completely turn someone off of a pressing plant, hence me and URP, I should give em a shot and see what they churn out!,

I have just never had any of the problems mentioned in here. Again I think it has a lot to do with your rep as well.

Kinda sucks how one bad experience can completely turn someone off of a pressing plant, hence me and URP, I should give em a shot and see what they churn out!,

yeah...that's how it goes, I used to use musicol....until something got fucked up in pressing...moved on...used PP for a few records...got the haze dusted ups...and got screwed on shipping for another project...moved on...

I might go back to using Rainbo eventually...but...for the time being I'm gonna stick with United, they're slow...but it gets done on the colors you asked them to make them on(that part hasn't been messed up yet!)

yeah...that's how it goes, I used to use musicol....until something got fucked up in pressing...moved on...used PP for a few records...got the haze dusted ups...and got screwed on shipping for another project...moved on...

I might go back to using Rainbo eventually...but...for the time being I'm gonna stick with United, they're slow...but it gets done on the colors you asked them to make them on(that part hasn't been messed up yet!)

Yeah, I've always been a Rainbo fan. And they were kind of the choice for punks back in the late 80's/early 90's, I guess that sentiment still rubs off of me :)

One day.. there will be a perfect company.

Let's pool money and start a pressing plant.

Or apparantly

Trutones "Record" is hard to beat.

Musicol is horrible as of late.

They use to be ok, until the "vinyl boom". They use GZ as well. I believe it's a small 2-3 man plant.

I believe(?) Recordpressing.com uses them as well, but I have heard similar stories about people waiting for almost a year for their stuff.

On a similar note, I contacted Erika the other day about doing some different shapes and such, does anyone have any recent exeriences with them?

I know they use really awfully bad.