new blackberry apreesh

....Verizon Exclusive.

WIN.

I'm pretty vocal when it comes to Cell Phone Providers but I'll try to keep it down a notch. Verizon is utter shit. The only people who can justify staying with Verizon are people in rural America. Judging by your location I can almost guarantee all the major providers have a great network where you live.

Why Verizon Sucks:

-Locked down CDMA phones

-crappy "standardized" UI on their dumbphones

-expensive plans

-they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING

Verizon is the ONLY provider who charges people for GPS capabilities - when you buy a phone with a GPS chip you already pay for the right to use GPS for free. Verizon locks down the GPS chips on all of their phones to force you to use VZ Navigator, which is an extra $10 a month.

They also lock out the ability to copy media files via USB to your computer so you're forced to use their ringtone/music service which is a ripoff.

There really is no reason to use Verizon. The only people I know who still use Verizon are 1) Uninformed Consumers (which is why they're the most popular provider), 2) Students whose parents pay for their phone/plan (aka Uninformed Consumers), Verizon employees, and people whose work pays for Verizon. I would never (knowingly) support a company who tries to nickel and dime their customers.

I've had my BB for just about a year now. Its pretty great. I want to get an iphone and 'replace' my Ipod, but 16 gb or so? Lol I have more AM! then that. (well maybe not, but you get the idea)

Maybe when this thunder comes out I'll see how that stacks up to the then current gen iphone. I'd say my experiences of both are just great. I dont think I'd like to use the Iphones keypad for too long though.

I'm pretty vocal when it comes to Cell Phone Providers but I'll try to keep it down a notch. Verizon is utter shit. The only people who can justify staying with Verizon are people in rural America. Judging by your location I can almost guarantee all the major providers have a great network where you live.

Why Verizon Sucks:

-Locked down CDMA phones

-crappy "standardized" UI on their dumbphones

-expensive plans

-they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING

Verizon is the ONLY provider who charges people for GPS capabilities - when you buy a phone with a GPS chip you already pay for the right to use GPS for free. Verizon locks down the GPS chips on all of their phones to force you to use VZ Navigator, which is an extra $10 a month.

They also lock out the ability to copy media files via USB to your computer so you're forced to use their ringtone/music service which is a ripoff.

There really is no reason to use Verizon. The only people I know who still use Verizon are 1) Uninformed Consumers (which is why they're the most popular provider), 2) Students whose parents pay for their phone/plan (aka Uninformed Consumers), Verizon employees, and people whose work pays for Verizon. I would never (knowingly) support a company who tries to nickel and dime their customers.

I don't know what you're talking about, I have full albums on my blackberry on verizon and I change out my ringtones for people all the time. I have not paid a penny for a single ringtone. also, my girlfriend has a verizon phone too and with bluetooth she has her own ringtones like mine.

Well, thankfully nowadays smartphones arn't neutered by Verizon. Not all phones are locked down but many are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_RAZR_V3#Verizon_Wireless_version

What I do know is they do in fact lock GPS on things like the Blackberry Pearl. You have to use VZ Navigator, unlike other phones with allow you to download Google Maps. The 2 newest Blackberries - which come with GPS software - are blocked from using said software. Instead you have to pay for VZ Navigator. They lock you out of free applications and force you to use their paid "Get it Now" service. Not to mention all dumbphones are loaded with Verizon's standard UI - which is slow, buggy, and just plain sucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Wireless#Controversy

For example, its recently introduced Blackberry 8830 and 8130 both have full GPS capabilities and the Blackberry Maps application which uses the GPS capability for tracking and navigation. Verizon has disabled the GPS to all other mapping applications other than its own VZ Navigator, which is billed at $2.99 a day or $9.99 a month.

Like most US CDMA carriers, Verizon makes heavy use of Qualcomm's BREW technology, and uses it over Java in case of phones where both are an option. By using BREW (which is branded Get It Now), Verizon locks users into its own applications, making it impossible to install anything Verizon doesn't offer. Programs such as the standard mail reader included in some phones were removed, forcing people to buy expensive mail readers from Get It Now.

Verizon Wireless has removed features in firmware updates for the Motorola V710 and several other newer phones for ringtone transfers, making it more difficult - but not impossible - to transfer MP3s from the phone's microSD card.

Is this really the type of company you wanna give your money to? Am I the only one who sees a problem with this? It's a shame so many consumers don't care about something they pay for. Nowadays switching providers is incredibly simple.

STFU nick, like your a fucking business person haha. Also, camera phone pictures are always horrible and I don't take pictures with a phone thinking that their going to be great and I'm going to print them out and frame them.

life is hard. a business man needs things like brickbreaker. fuck your phone that i wish i had but my family is too shitty to afford.

Well, thankfully nowadays smartphones arn't neutered by Verizon. Not all phones are locked down but many are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_RAZR_V3#Verizon_Wireless_version

What I do know is they do in fact lock GPS on things like the Blackberry Pearl. You have to use VZ Navigator, unlike other phones with allow you to download Google Maps. The 2 newest Blackberries - which come with GPS software - are blocked from using said software. Instead you have to pay for VZ Navigator. They lock you out of free applications and force you to use their paid "Get it Now" service. Not to mention all dumbphones are loaded with Verizon's standard UI - which is slow, buggy, and just plain sucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Wireless#Controversy

For example, its recently introduced Blackberry 8830 and 8130 both have full GPS capabilities and the Blackberry Maps application which uses the GPS capability for tracking and navigation. Verizon has disabled the GPS to all other mapping applications other than its own VZ Navigator, which is billed at $2.99 a day or $9.99 a month.

Like most US CDMA carriers, Verizon makes heavy use of Qualcomm's BREW technology, and uses it over Java in case of phones where both are an option. By using BREW (which is branded Get It Now), Verizon locks users into its own applications, making it impossible to install anything Verizon doesn't offer. Programs such as the standard mail reader included in some phones were removed, forcing people to buy expensive mail readers from Get It Now.

Verizon Wireless has removed features in firmware updates for the Motorola V710 and several other newer phones for ringtone transfers, making it more difficult - but not impossible - to transfer MP3s from the phone's microSD card.

Is this really the type of company you wanna give your money to? Am I the only one who sees a problem with this? It's a shame so many consumers don't care about something they pay for. Nowadays switching providers is incredibly simple.

I dunno dude, my google maps works perfectly on my blackberry pearl. no issue for me.

I dunno dude, my google maps works perfectly on my blackberry pearl. no issue for me.

Thanks for ignoring everything else :-X Does Blackberry Maps work?

Also, I've scoured Google and it looks like "Get it Now" and the "VCast" services weren't added to the Blackberry Pearl, but they did lock down GPS.

This doesn't change the fact about Verizon being the WORST provider.