Receiver/stereo/speaker help

so I had to get rid of my last receiver/speaker set up when I last moved, but now I need something new. I still have my turntable, and was scouring craigslist for something.

I was thinking I'd just get a receiver and a pair of speakers since I don't need any tape or CD stuff.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/809261547.html

that seemed nice, but a little high in cost, and more than I need.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/804810099.html

&

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/805270336.html

seems to be better, but I'm not sure about audio equipment at all, or if they'd work together.

thanks for your help!

You're going to find about a million varying opinions around every message board as far as audio equipment goes, but here's mine.

Definitely don't go with that bookshelf unit, that thing looks wack and you can do better for that price.

The Sherwood receiver looks ok, Sherwood isn't too bad, and if it's all you can find in that price range, it probably would be acceptable. I would personally look for something vintage by Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz, Luxman, or Panasonic (probalby the best bet, especially for the price). If you can get something from the 70's that is at least 35 watts per channel for around that price, you'll get a warmer sound that is more suited for vinyl, plus they just look better than the new black stuff. Otherwise, early 90's stuff by those same companies all have phono inputs and sound pretty good.

I don't really know much about those speakers, but they probably wouldn't be super great. I would look for some 80's-90's Pioneers, Sonys, or Cerwin Vegas for around $50. There are obviously much better speakers out there, but those brands should be within reach at that price range.

All in all, you could probably build a pretty nice vintage, or at least semi-vintage, setup for $100 or less since you already have a turntable.

Hope that helps.

I think a vintage '70s receiver would be the thing to get. You can find old ones from Sansui, Marantz, Pioneer, etc. on ebay for around $100 that will work better then most stuff available today. Those models made in that era all had phono inputs, and they were built very well with serious audio in mind. WAY better than new low-end receivers. I think they look really cool too.

They were really heavy, so shipping might be a little expensive.

You should scour garage sales and ask around to friends. I got a pretty nice setup from my girlfriend's parents because it was just sitting around not working so they said I could have. I just had to replace a fuse and it worked splendidly.

Right afterwards someone was selling a setup for $5 at a garage sale that looked decent.