Anyone watching the DNC?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baseball
Is Ron Paul pro-life? I thought he was...

Yeah, he's pro-life. It's an interesting position since he's very 'pro-personal choice' on a lot of other topics. Might have something to do with the fact that he was a Gynecologist before he was a politician and delivered thousands of babies.

Basically, everything about him is small government and free markets. From what I've heard him say, he's not vehemently opposed to pro-choice, more doesn't think there should be any federal law pertaining to abortion and it should be left up to the states (like most things on his platform). Bad idea though, we don't need to see an increase in coat hanger and back alley abortions because you can only get them in certain states.

Is Ron Paul pro-life? I thought he was...

Yeah, he's pro-life. It's an interesting position since he's very 'pro-personal choice' on a lot of other topics. Might have something to do with the fact that he was a Gynecologist before he was a politician and delivered thousands of babies.

Basically, everything about him is small government and free markets. From what I've heard him say, he's not vehemently opposed to pro-choice, more doesn't think there should be any federal law pertaining to abortion and it should be left up to the states (like most things on his platform). Bad idea though, we don't need to see an increase in coat hanger and back alley abortions because you can only get them in certain states.

To be honest I can't respect anybody who's all personal and free markets but is pro-life even if he's not vehemently pro-life.

I'm all for more parties too but it occurred to me this morning we either have 50 small parties or 2-3 big ones I don't think there's a middle ground.

Guest baseball

Really? I don't trust Barr at all. He's made some major ideological changes and really does not come off as genuine at all. I think he's only up there because he's got name recognition. If I was going to vote for a libertarian, I'd vote for Ron Paul before I'd vote for Barr.

*cue 10 people who've only read a couple paragraphs on dailykos about Ron Paul and don't actually understand anything about his ideologies attacking me, lol*

As is, McKinney (green party candidate, former elected Democrat) has been making the best statements and is talking about the right things.

I know all about Ron Paul. Watched the man speak numerous times and told his supporters to get off my lawn just as many. The dude has a handful of good ideas, but sadly America isn't ever going to go back to being an isolationist nation. Also Paul believes vaccines cause Autism.

That's fine, when he was making waves there was a multitude of people that had literally just heard of him making him out to be either the devil or the messiah, depending on if you were a supporter or detractor. Was quite annoying.

I agree, he has plenty of good ideas, but plenty of bad ones too. I fall very far from his economic principles, but agree with some of his social and foreign policy ones. I don't think he really advocates isolationist, more like non-interventionist, which I agree with to an extent.

Guest baseball
Loki, remind me what the bankruptcy bill was if you would...

Makes it harder to file for bankruptcy. Greatly benefits the credit card industry and is damaging to the 'little guy'. Credit Card industry lobbied a ton for the bill to get it passed.

Joe Biden was one of the major players getting it passed. His son was a player in the credit card industry at the time.

Loki, remind me what the bankruptcy bill was if you would...

Makes it harder to file for bankruptcy. Greatly benefits the credit card industry and is damaging to the 'little guy'. Credit Card industry lobbied a ton for the bill to get it passed.

Joe Biden was one of the major players getting it passed. His son was a player in the credit card industry at the time.

I'm sure Biden wasn't the only one who helped get it passed or who voted "yes."

EDIT:

For the record, McCain voted yes as well. MORE IMPORTANTLY OBAMA VOTED NO.

Guest baseball

Well, no. He was widely known as one of the chief architects of it though. It's not like he just voted yes.

I'm not defending Biden but I will say making it harder for people to file bankruptcy doesn't sound like a horrible idea to me. Granted there should be some legislative exceptions but people need to get away from racking up thousands on credit cards. I could see someone believing making bankruptcy harder to get would lead to people spending less on credit. However, that needs to coincide with help for the middle class and lower middle class to allow them to get care and services which are needed. That would allow things like medical expenses to be paid and not put people in to ruin.

Here's a nice link to the bill and who voted yes/no in case people are intersted:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0312-03.htm

74 - 25 Yea/Nay, the only one who didn't vote was Hilary Clinton, all Nays were Democrats, no republican voted against it. 18 Democrats voted for this bill.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00044

Guest baseball
Hey dude, Daily Kos ain't bad.

Haha, I agree. It's got plenty of good info. My quip earlier wasn't really to slam the dailykos. More the people on there that would make ridiculous posts about Ron Paul which sometimes weren't very rooted in reality.

I'm with the liberal types on a lot of things, but not on others. I really hate the whole defining yourself as a liberal or conservative thing though. It's not a freaking contest to see who's more liberal or conservative. I'm so sick of people conforming to whatever side you most often agree with. I register unafilliated, I don't support any party exclusively.

Hey dude, Daily Kos ain't bad.

Haha, I agree. It's got plenty of good info. My quip earlier wasn't really to slam the dailykos. More the people on there that would make ridiculous posts about Ron Paul which sometimes weren't very rooted in reality.

I'm with the liberal types on a lot of things, but not on others. I really hate the whole defining yourself as a liberal or conservative thing though. It's not a freaking contest to see who's more liberal or conservative. I'm so sick of people conforming to whatever side you most often agree with. I register unafilliated, I don't support any party exclusively.

I register for primaries and not much else but based on what I believe there'd have to be a wingnut of a Republican for them to get my vote.