Charges finally brought against Oink founder

thomas

Link

Seems he is charged with "Conspiracy to Defraud". 6 uploaders were arrested earlier in the year, and 4 may soon face charges as well. Well, that's what people get for using the most insecure p2p application around (bittorrent broadcasts your IP, and won't work if you try to hide it).

Edit: OiNK Uploaders Charged with Copyright Infringement for uploading one CD.

well, im not going to buy the records or cds of every band that claims to share influence/styles with bands i happen to like. myspace is never enough to adequately "size up" a band or release. if i dig the stuff, ill seek out the vinyl. if i cant find the vinyl, ill probably order a cd. i know thats not always how it works, but i certainly try.

well, im not going to buy the records or cds of every band that claims to share influence/styles with bands i happen to like. myspace is never enough to adequately "size up" a band or release. if i dig the stuff, ill seek out the vinyl. if i cant find the vinyl, ill probably order a cd. i know thats not always how it works, but i certainly try.

most band's dont make shit on cd's anyways... i go to shows they will see much more $ from that then they would a cd

Most bands also don't pay for their CDs or records. Their labels do.

Whatever though, do what you want all I'm saying is there's a bad-ass, totally legal way that will reward labels and bands you like. Its my opinion that option is a pro-active way to get more music you like created. Picking off albums via Torrents or other means simply does not let more music get easily created.

I'm a big proponent of giving away music. I think it helps but I do believe people need to be more willing to support labels and artists they like, that's all.

Link

Seems he is charged with "Conspiracy to Defraud". 6 uploaders were arrested earlier in the year, and 4 may soon face charges as well. Well, that's what people get for using the most insecure p2p application around (bittorrent broadcasts your IP, and won't work if you try to hide it).

So what if it broadcasts your IP, set your program to encrypt your data and use something that blocks people from monitoring you like PeerGuardian and you will be fine.

Link

So what if it broadcasts your IP, set your program to encrypt your data and use something that blocks people from monitoring you like PeerGuardian and you will be fine.

Umm... that will do nothing. Your IP is broadcast and logged, and all the company has to do is get access to the list and they can see who dl/ul how what data. Programs like Peer Guardian are worthless, they probably block less then 10% of the IPs that track stuff. It is also completely worthless when someone seizes a server that logs data, because they just pull the IP off of that.

I've actually pretty much stopped downloading, unless it is demos/b-sides/rare stuff I can't find to buy on Cd or vinyl. I've actually been risking just buying an album straight out and listening to it once I get it and if I hate it, resell it.

Guest baseball
Or you know you could sign-up for eMusic and get 100 songs a month for like 20 bucks and support the labels and bands making the music you like. :)

Emusic is great. It's cheap, and I've browsed to so many great bands there I probably wouldn't have checked out otherwise.