THE COMEBACK OF VINYL - Süddeutsche Zeitung

xrecordx

I have just read a newspaper article in the Süddeutsche Zeitung (Germany´s biggest daily newspaper), I scanned it, since I thought it might be a cool idea for those who can speak German on this board. The article is well written and I found it on a the frontpage!!

For those who can´t speak German , here is a small summery: 8-)

The article deals basically with the declining sales of the Compact Disc, so in 2007 there were more than 1.8 billion CDs sold (worldwide) which is 12% less than back in 2006. There is a steady decline of sales if one compares 2006 to 2005 (10%).

The article says that there is constant rise in the sales of Vinyl. The sales of Vinyl are growing much faster compared to legal (paid) downloads. In 2007 there were 6 million new records sold, which is twice as much as in the year before....

The other market which has also very rapid growing sales is the market of record players. In 2007 there were more than 80% new record players sold compared to 2006..

The next part of the article is dealing with the bands who are starting to put out their releases on vinyl like Coldplay, Black Kids...the article also tells the reader about the Radiohead - Discbox set (sold over 60,000 times!), the new Metallica album and it also deals with re-releases like Pink Floyd, U2,Michael Jackson...

The author gives an explanation why Vinyl is celebrating a comeback:

1. people would like to have something in their hands in a time of digitization

2. the fun of enjoying vinyl as a kind of graphical artwork

3. resistance against idleness.

[image]

I did German at school for 4 years, got an A at GCSE and all I can remember 3 years on is NEIN PLUCHTIER! such an awesome language for yelling at people in though.

I tried to figure out what NEIN PLUCHTIER is supposed to mean...

NEIN = no

Pluchtier = do you mean Plüschtier like a teddy bear or something like that?

or dou you mean MEIN PLÜSCHTIER

MEIN= my .....

in anyway its funny