Direct Drive turntable questions

thomas

So I got a Audio-Technica PL12 for Christmas, and it is a direct drive table. Neither my Dad or I have ever used one, so setting it up was a new experience. We got it set-up and it sounds great, now my question is do all direct drive tables require you to move the stylus arm on your own, and do they all sit on the last groove of the record? I thought they were all automated like my shitty belt drive, but it's all manual it seems. I don't mind having to do it, but I just want to make sure I did not do something wrong while setting it up.

Edit: Also I notice more pops now with my records, is it because we did not balance the arm right, or is that common on better needles? I am playing a brand new never played record now, and I am noticing a few pops every so often.

The only turntables with automatic arm return are shitty $120 'tables you get from Best Buy or Circuit City. Audiophile and DJ 'tables require you to get up and take the arm off at the end of the record.

If you are noticing pops it could be from the needle, but its most definitley not because its better. In fact, the DJ needle is probably a very minor improvement over what you had, if any. The simple matter is, DJ 'tables and needles are built for longevity, for playing in a club environment day in and day out, being mixed, scratched, etc. They're not built for sound quality.

That said, the pops could be a product of the needle, but I doubt it, usually pops are in the record. Try playing an old record you know doesn't pop.

I figured that only low end tables are all automated. I'll try an older record here in a bit, but I noticed when I took it off it was a bit dusty (never played the record, but have had it for a few weeks now and my room gets dusty) so maybe that was the problem. The pops don't bother me, I only heard like 3-4 total.

i am about to buy a new cartridge for my pioneer pl 400 direct drive table, and am considering either the audio technica AT120E/T Audio Technica Magnetic Cartridge or the grado green prestige. i dont want to spend a lot, but i want to upgrade from my 'universal' audio technica cartridge i bought at best buy 4-5 years ago. i have heard good things about grado, but that audio technica has a retail of $160 and is at Garage 'A Records for $70...any advice?

i am about to buy a new cartridge for my pioneer pl 400 direct drive table, and am considering either the audio technica AT120E/T Audio Technica Magnetic Cartridge or the grado green prestige. i dont want to spend a lot, but i want to upgrade from my 'universal' audio technica cartridge i bought at best buy 4-5 years ago. i have heard good things about grado, but that audio technica has a retail of $160 and is at Garage 'A Records for $70...any advice?

It's hard to go wrong with the Grado.