chicago help

sadly reckless is the only real record store in Chicago.. but theres two of 'em. I dont go there much, but have mild success there.

There's now a third one downtown on Madison Ave. as well. It's pretty small, though.

Also, I second Kuma's. They make an impressive hamburger and have a nice beer list as well. Unless you don't eat meat, in which case I recommend the Chicago Diner.

sadly reckless is the only real record store in Chicago.. but theres two of 'em. I dont go there much, but have mild success there.

There's now a third one downtown on Madison Ave. as well. It's pretty small, though.

Also, I second Kuma's. They make an impressive hamburger and have a nice beer list as well. Unless you don't eat meat, in which case I recommend the Chicago Diner.

i think i have eaten at that diner.......about 4 or 5 years ago i saw tla at a show and it was across the street from a diner i ate at earlier in the day.

Oh, also, if you've got a small group I highly recommend Cafe Iberico. It's a Spanish Tapas place that is fucking delicious. Reasonably priced, too, but it can be a bitch to get a table. Also, its better if you have more than two people because you get a bunch of dishes and share. But if you're out with 4 or 5, its great.

when i was in chicago last year, we stayed near fullerton station . anyway, we were walking around the neighbourhood and found a tiny record store on clark between fullerton and diversey. i can't remember what it was called though. i found a couple of elliott smith 7"s there. its worth checking out. sorry i don't remember the name. i'm sure i kept the shopping bag, but i have no idea where it is. haha.

A quick google search says its Dave's Records, 2604 N Clark Street. I'll have to check that out sometime. The neighborhood its in is called Lincoln Park, which is mostly full of yuppie bars & fancy clothing stores. But Lakeview, one neighborhood north, is cool (but I'm partial since I live there ::)). Also there's a Reckless in Lakeview so one could conceivably hit that and Dave's on the same trek.

if you're vegetarian/vegan or even if you're not, check out the chicago diner www.veggiediner.com

pretty damn good food and I'm not even a vegetarian

reckless is definitely a must visit - the one on broadway is the best IMO

i will definately visit reckless. thanks for the ideas guys keep em coming.

also i have been yearning for old style on tap...cant wait.

Pollstar doesn't catch everything for Chicago shows, and the URL I gave you above was just for a booking company that does a handful of venues in Chicago. Here's some other ones you might wanna check:

http://metrochicago.com/shows/

http://www.reggieslive.com/rockclub/index.shtml

http://www.beatkitchen.com/calendar.htm

http://subt.net/

http://www.killertours.com/search/state/IL

Also, I seriously can't express how awesome Hot Dougs and Kuma's Corner are. I really insist on you going to both. Be prepared for roughly an hour-long wait for a table at Kuma's, though (and then another 45 minutes to get your food). It's become very popular recently, but their kitchen is incredibly tiny, so it takes a while to get people in and out. Make sure to order an appetizer so you don't starve to death.

i went to kuma's the other weekend with a few people at 3 PM. it was going to be 2 hours for a table. we left, but i would like to try it at some point.

Yeah, ever since it was profiled on (I think) the Food Network, the wait is almost always at least an hour. Honestly, it's worth it, though. I just wish they could increase their kitchen size, which would speed up everything.

I'd completely avoid Hot Doug's unless you want to wait in line in the cold for an hour for a rattlesnake dog or something. If you're getting a regular hot dog you can go to ANY place in Chicago and it's the same damn thing.

There are other great vegan/veg restaurants in Chicago as well. The one you ate at across the street from a show you went to was probably Earwax across from the Double Door. Earwax just got shut down for health code violations. And shitty service, too. Chicago Diner is great though. If you like Asian stuff, check out Alice + Friends up north on Broadway. Amazing vegan food.

There used to be a bunch of record stores on Clark between Fullerton and Diversey, including Second Hand Tunes. No clue if it's still there. Reckless is probably the best bet. The north locations are better than the loop one, and certainly easier to get to if you're in a car.

I'd completely avoid Hot Doug's unless you want to wait in line in the cold for an hour for a rattlesnake dog or something. If you're getting a regular hot dog you can go to ANY place in Chicago and it's the same damn thing.

Dude, that's the whole point of Hot Doug's -- getting one of their absolutely insane specials. Allow me to cut and paste the most recent specials menu (Doug changes it every single day, and there's always some totally insane shit on there):

The Game of the Week

Bacon and Cheddar Elk Sausage with Guinness Stout Mustard, Crispy Fried Onions and Applewood-Smoked Cheddar Cheese

$8.00

The Raffaele Lombardo (Today's Celebrity Sausage)

Spicy Thai Chicken Sausage with Sriracha Mustard and Sesame-Seaweed Salad

$7.50

Jamaican Jerk Pork Sausage with Passion Fruit Mustard and Sautéed Plantains

$7.50

Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Black Truffle Butter, Foie Gras Mousse and Sel Gris

$8.00

Tongue Sausage with Horseradish Mustard and Chopped Liver

$7.00

Jack Daniels and Fennel Pork Sausage with Bacon-Garlic Mayonnaise and Sage Derby Cheese

$7.50

Saucisson Alsacienne: Bacon Sausage with Crème Fraîche, Caramelized Onions and St. Nectaire Cheese

$7.50

Portuguese Linguiça with Smoked Paprika Dijonnaise and Castelinhos Cheese

$7.50

Mediterranean Lamb Sausage with Moroccan Mustard and Provolone Cheese

$7.50

Chardonnay and Jalapeño Rattlesnake Sausage with Chili-Garlic Mayonnaise and Smoked Gouda Cheese

$8.00

The Teuben: Corned Beef Sausage with Russian Dressing, Sauerkraut and Swiss Cheese

$7.50

Spicy Smoked Alligator Sausage with Cajun Remoulade and St. Pete's Blue Cheese

$8.50

i went to kuma's the other weekend with a few people at 3 PM. it was going to be 2 hours for a table. we left, but i would like to try it at some point.

Yeah, ever since it was profiled on (I think) the Food Network, the wait is almost always at least an hour. Honestly, it's worth it, though. I just wish they could increase their kitchen size, which would speed up everything.

thats what i keep hearing, it takes SO long to be seated and SO long to get your food but people will wait for three hours because the food is so good. one day i will go perhaps.

thats what i keep hearing, it takes SO long to be seated and SO long to get your food but people will wait for three hours because the food is so good. one day i will go perhaps.

I've also heard their macaroni and cheese is totally awesome, too, but I always have my mind set on getting one of their burgers when I go, so I haven't tried it yet.

The one you ate at across the street from a show you went to was probably Earwax across from the Double Door. Earwax just got shut down for health code violations. And shitty service, too.

boy i thought maybe i just had some bad weed that night......mustve been the food.

thanks again for all this info guys.