Some of my photographs...

And god...I love shooting with film...I think that takes a lot of artistic merit.

agreed...digital=devil...too many a-holes out there w/ an expensive digital camera...just walk around taking shots and photoshop the hell out of it...I only shoot film...and I try to only shoot true B&W and use the Darkroom...so much nicer looking...and actually being able to use your hands as opposed to a mouse and keystrokes to manipulate is quite a bit more rewarding in the end

I guess those pics are nice, but all of those bands look like d-bags.

irony? of this post is that i overheard someone say the same thing about you based ONLY on your looks at a show at gar fart. I asked them if they knew you, they said they didnt, and I told them you weren't one. never saw that person again, they were standing at the door near manny and I at one of those IATA/Vinnie shows, or was it a chuck ragan show? fuck, I can't remember now!

oh, and the motionless in white comment I made is because my friend AJ started this 18 Visions ripoff band called Motionless and White, doing the band as a total joke, trying to be as cocky/"fashionable" as possible calling everyone bro's and having stage names. but then they found out there was a band called motionless in white that were exactly that and made the joke even better. changed their name to something else, and never actually played a show, they recorded a few songs but never got the ball rolling. would have been hilarious

I always wonder why bands rip off song names by other bands.

I wish parents would stop buying their teenage kids $2000 cameras. And yes, I'm jealous.

trudat...keep seeing kids at shows w/ these crazy nice cameras...it makes me sad knowing how mediocre their pics are going to be...they could be using a point and shoot for the blown-out snapshots of the band playing

Exactly. I mean I shoot mostly in digital (the only film camera I have is a Holga) but it's helping me understand photography a lot better. Every time I go shooting I learn something or I experiment. I know I'm not a great photographer by any means but I don't care because I'm having fun. I also have a problem with kids who just rely on point and shoot method without even thinking about it. It takes the magic out of it. Kind of like how I was talking about graphic design earlier...it's stuff like that that makes people think that anyone can do it.

exactly man...I'm not the best photographer in the world...but I fucking love shooting, I love developing, I love printing, I love the darkroom...just bums me out that those kids w/ the really expensive cameras don't even care to so-much as read the manual on the thing to learn anything, just use it as a really really expensive point and shoot.

God forbid any of them even attempt to try and shoot on the Manual setting. I love fiddling around with that stuff. You pay shit tons of money to be able to do all that stuff, you might as well test the waters.

And on random note, my absolute favorite thing about doing film is when you stick the print in the developer and watch it slowly appear. That shit never gets old never ever. I just hate how I can't sign out darkroom equipment anymore because I'm not taking a photo class and I'm not a photo major. I miss it.

tru-dat as well...like watching a magic trick that never gets old. I took a class this past summer that focused on really archaic photography..that shit was fun, we did some Salt-Prints, Argyrotypes, Cyanotype, Van-Dyke formula...that shit's cool as well, just like, set it out on a sunny day and watch it slowly fade...fuggin' killer shit

I wish parents would stop buying their teenage kids $2000 cameras. And yes, I'm jealous.

I'm all for digital but it's getting to the point where kids are taking mediocre photographs without having any idea what goes into making a good photo.

You gotta learn somehow.

Its either their parents buying them that or something else. I can think of a lot of worse things than a camera.

i agree that processing film in the darkroom is the way to go. It is so satisfying and interesting. But it is just not practical if you are not a student or do not do it as a career. You can do so much digitally, both with color and b/w, and come out with some amazing pictures if you know what youre doing. Yeah a ton of people are out there dont know what theyre doing, but it just makes the good pictures stand out that much more.

I'm all for digital but it's getting to the point where kids are taking mediocre photographs without having any idea what goes into making a good photo.

You gotta learn somehow.

Its either their parents buying them that or something else. I can think of a lot of worse things than a camera.

also what he said.

i agree that processing film in the darkroom is the way to go. It is so satisfying and interesting. But it is just not practical if you are not a student or do not do it as a career. You can do so much digitally, both with color and b/w, and come out with some amazing pictures if you know what youre doing. Yeah a ton of people are out there dont know what theyre doing, but it just makes the good pictures stand out that much more.

I get what you're saying. That's why darkroom stuff, in my opinion helps separate photography as an art form vs. photography as a practical application. Kind of like with graphic design (I make these parallels a lot because I'm a design major). You can do really artsy stuff, but you can also do very practical things. In a way it's like apples and oranges really.

Film is not better than digital. Digital is not better than film.

lies

I'm a diehard analog shooter. I shoot exclusively with Leicas and do some medium format work with a Rolleiflex TLR. I'm talking no meter, no aperture priority/auto exposure, no autofocus. 100% manual. I've got 1,600 feet of unexposed bulk roll film in my freezer waiting to be shot. I develop my own B&W film. I have my own darkroom. Why is any of this relevent? Well, for me film is awesome and I obviously love it. However, when I see a great photograph I don't worry about whether it was shot on film or whether it was shot on digital. Yes, they can both create different looks and feels and yes I prefer the look of film in most cases, but when it comes down to it a good photo is a good photo and what kind of camera it was shot on is an afterthought. The camera is just a tool that helps the photographer capture the image, but it doesn't make the image.