vinyl manufacturers

PS if you live in the US, support the US economy when pressing records. Pirates Press goes through a Czech Republic company, so most of your money ends up there.

They don't do it because it's cheaper. Because it simply isn't. Quality is all that matters here. Rumour has it, the US has no good pressing plants.

That's completely silly. The US has no good plants? They have plenty of good plants. However, most don't do all the wacky vinyl splatters and shit that kids eat up like candy on Halloween. It is actually MORE expensive to use Pirates Press, but it's easier to sell 100 copies of 5 different variations than to sell 500 on one color from a US plant.

yes but if you do one color on pirates vs one color at a US plant its much cheaper to use pirates, also pirates press is run by a bunch of guys who are very into the scene, and they run a label themselves.. so once again its supporting part of the scene. Much like getting your tshirts or posters done at one of the Eric's shops.

PS if you live in the US, support the US economy when pressing records. Pirates Press goes through a Czech Republic company, so most of your money ends up there.

What is a good US-based pressing plant that will give me the vinyl + printed materials fully packaged for a middle-range price?

They don't do it because it's cheaper. Because it simply isn't. Quality is all that matters here. Rumour has it, the US has no good pressing plants.

That's completely silly. The US has no good plants? They have plenty of good plants. However, most don't do all the wacky vinyl splatters and shit that kids eat up like candy on Halloween. It is actually MORE expensive to use Pirates Press, but it's easier to sell 100 copies of 5 different variations than to sell 500 on one color from a US plant.

My experience is that you get more variation from the US-based plants with crazy vinyl colors and stuff. My stuff from Pirates is pretty standard, I've never gotten the random pressings that make some releases really rare

Anybody know which pressings plant(s) gives you the "out of 50 on various colors"?

You can ask any plant to not clean out the machine from the previous color or whatever, and that'll typically produce some strange results. Or do "mixed" vinyl where they put all the various leftovers from that day's pressings that didn't get used into one bin and you never know what you'll get.

None of the US plants do fully packaged things like Pirates Press. They're not really a pressing plant, but rather a broker. They have the records and sleeves and inserts and whatnot manufactured somewhere else (the Czech Republic) then have it all shipped to them in San Francisco, THEN they ship it to you.

If you want to do something domestically you have to talk to Dorado, Stoughton, Ross Ellis, Imprint, or whoever about covers. They can then ship those covers to the plant that presses the record, who can do all the insertions and shrinkwrapping/bagging if you want. Or you can do it DIY and have everything shipped to you, make your friends come over and help stuff records.

As far as a plant doing "out of 50" I think the only one who would do that is probably Musicol. It's NOT cost-effective to do 50 records. If you mean 50 of one color out of a few hundred, they'd probably do that for you. I guess they're pretty liberal with doing random experimental colors and whatnot.

You can ask any plant to not clean out the machine from the previous color or whatever, and that'll typically produce some strange results. Or do "mixed" vinyl where they put all the various leftovers from that day's pressings that didn't get used into one bin and you never know what you'll get.

None of the US plants do fully packaged things like Pirates Press. They're not really a pressing plant, but rather a broker. They have the records and sleeves and inserts and whatnot manufactured somewhere else (the Czech Republic) then have it all shipped to them in San Francisco, THEN they ship it to you.

If you want to do something domestically you have to talk to Dorado, Stoughton, Ross Ellis, Imprint, or whoever about covers. They can then ship those covers to the plant that presses the record, who can do all the insertions and shrinkwrapping/bagging if you want. Or you can do it DIY and have everything shipped to you, make your friends come over and help stuff records.

As far as a plant doing "out of 50" I think the only one who would do that is probably Musicol. It's NOT cost-effective to do 50 records. If you mean 50 of one color out of a few hundred, they'd probably do that for you. I guess they're pretty liberal with doing random experimental colors and whatnot.

Yeah, I use Pirates instead of directly with GZ because of the hassle (you have to go to the airport and pick up the records, etc.) I'm happy, and I'm pretty sure everything is fairly run in the Czech Republic, I've only heard positive things.

For the /50 - I was referring to some releases with are 300 of one color, 100 of another, and 50 of random colors - I know Pirates doesn't do this, they have minimums on how many you can do. I'll check out Musicol - thanks