Question for folks with band/band related tattoos

Guest genericinsight

Guest genericinsight

I've always been curious about this.

Do you guys ever show band members of the bands who's logos/lyrics/pieces inspired by their songs the tattoos?

If you have, ever worried about the reaction? Like maybe they will think you're psycho/obsessed? (this moreso goes for bands that don't necessarily have a million people with tattoos already... i.e. Alkaline Trio, I'm sure they're used to it by now)

If you have worried and then showed them, what's been the general reaction?

Or, do you just keep it to yourself and not show them?

Just curious.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i don't go out of my way, but most bands are flattered by them...

kammy from fourth rotor kinda freaked out when she saw I had gotten their logo tattooed on me(in a good way)...I think Doug(the singer) was a little shocked, and the bass player thought I was crazy.

I think at best I've gotten the nod thank you from Tim Barry over the avail tattoo. Eric OP!!! didn't call me for 6 months...y'know...you win some, you lose some ;)

Good topic! I have a New Amsterdams tattoo on my chest. Maybe it's more that part of my chest tattoo is New Ams related. Anyway, I wouldn't show it because A) I don't think Matt Pryor would give a fuck, if not be plain creeped out B) showing your chest to someone you don't know is kind of odd to begin with and C) it doesn't really matter what he thinks of it so I have no need to show it. I suppose if I was confident in thinking he would share my enthusiasm about the tattoo I might be a little more inclined to have him see it. While I don't really know him, he's never come off as the type who would think that it's cool.

Guest genericinsight

kammy from fourth rotor kinda freaked out when she saw I had gotten their logo tattooed on me(in a good way)...I think Doug(the singer) was a little shocked, and the bass player thought I was crazy.

I think at best I've gotten the nod thank you from Tim Barry over the avail tattoo. Eric OP!!! didn't call me for 6 months...y'know...you win some, you lose some ;)

Yeah, guess it depends on the person too.

I know a kid who actually had the members of Strung Out autograph his arm and then went and got the signatures tattooed on the very next day... um. I was there when he showed the band them and they seemed cool with it, but it's just one of those situations where you wonder if they are or its just for show. That's a bit extreme.

well yeah...if you're getting like Pete Townshend....ok to get the autograph tattooed...the dudes in Strung out...not so much.

I know a kid who actually had the members of Strung Out autograph his arm and then went and got the signatures tattooed on the very next day... um. I was there when he showed the band them and they seemed cool with it, but it's just one of those situations where you wonder if they are or its just for show. That's a bit extreme.

Guest genericinsight

well yeah...if you're getting like Pete Townshend....ok to get the autograph tattooed...the dudes in Strung out...not so much.

Haha well regardless of status, I'm sure Pete Townshend would be a little freaked out if he knew someone out there existed with his signature permanently etched onto their body. I've never understood band members' autographs tattoos at all.

Funny sidenote to that story (since I have two Strung Out tattoos as they are my favorite band): the kid who got the autographs came up and showed them to me when I met him, and after he walked away, my best friend grabbed me by the shoulders and said to me "If you ever do that, I'll kill you".

Guest genericinsight

Hmm, maybe this should have read:

People with band tattoos of bands that are still active/aren't majorly unapproachable/don't have a ton of dead members. haha.

I have a bunch of band tattoos. The only one I have ever shown to any band member is the Strike Anywhere tattoo I have on my shin. It is of the Iron Front, three arrow logo. Thomas and I talked at length about the significance and meaning behind the Iron Front , the symbol they used, etc. It was a good conversation. I would've felt pretty stupid if I had gotten that tattoo and was not familiar with the Iron Front...because that was his first question to me regarding the tattoo.

I have a load of band tattoos. i'm not one of those kids who will mail it to the band so they can put it on myspace but i have casually bumped into some of the band members occasionally and they were cool about it! One that was weird was seeing Chad from Further Seems Forever and showing him. It was kind of awkward like i was a little obsessed or something but it was cool nonetheless! I have a Moneen tattoo and I showed Kenny and he was all smiles about it! In my mind, I get the tattoos for me not the band or anyone. It represents a past time in my life and if a band is uneasy about it, it makes me laugh! :) Probably because it'd be weird if anyone ever got a tattoo of any of my bands.

Me and 5 of my friends have "the ramblin' boys of pleasure" tattooed in various places on each of our bodies, and whenever we go to a lawrence arms show, I/we always show Brendan, thus guaranteeing they play that song. So if you're at a lawrence arms show with me, your going to hear that. He's been pretty cool each time i've showed him, never really freaked out, but that's also because he probably doesn't give a shit, and changes the subject to something else.

Haha well regardless of status, I'm sure Pete Townshend would be a little freaked out if he knew someone out there existed with his signature permanently etched onto their body. I've never understood band members' autographs tattoos at all.

Funny sidenote to that story (since I have two Strung Out tattoos as they are my favorite band): the kid who got the autographs came up and showed them to me when I met him, and after he walked away, my best friend grabbed me by the shoulders and said to me "If you ever do that, I'll kill you".

What Strung Out tats do you have? I plan on getting a Strung Out tat at some point as them and NOFX are my 2 favorite bands. I wanna get a NOFX one too at some point but Im not sure what to get. Im guessing if someone showed Fat Mike their NOFX tat he would make fun of them.

Guest genericinsight

What Strung Out tats do you have? I plan on getting a Strung Out tat at some point as them and NOFX are my 2 favorite bands. I wanna get a NOFX one too at some point but Im not sure what to get. Im guessing if someone showed Fat Mike their NOFX tat he would make fun of them.

Astrolux logo and bleeding/heart of nails logo.

I have a paint it black, strike anywhere and alk3 tattoo... I showed thomas from strike and he thought it was pretty bad ass, its not a logo but like a picture of the arrows but done a diff style with a band wrapped around that says " to live in discontent"

Curious...what's your PIB tattoo? I would totally get a PIB tattoo but I have no idea what I'd get. Not gonna rip off yours or anything. I'm probably going to go for a lyric or something.

And I don't have any tattoos at all yet...but I am definitely getting a Jawbreaker tattoo and probably an At the Drive-In one. I probably wouldn't show any of them those tattoos, but that's because I'd be too busy gushing like a fangirl.