your turntable

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenwood KD291-R. I think I got it 12-13 years ago and its still going strong. I think it plays records just a little too fast, which I recently noticed, maybe like 34-35rpm instead of 33. But, its like a child to me, its my first record player. I have two others in storage, one broke and another I didn't like how the arm dropped on the vinyl...

'81 Technics SL-B101 (belt drive) w/ Audio Technica LS300 cartridge, running through a Pyle PP-999 pre-amp

[image]

Picked it up locally on ebay for $20, the person actually lived right down the street, the head shell looked like a stereo component melted it or something, but other than that it works great. Eventually I want to invest in one of those Ion or Audio Technica USB turntables.

Guest falloutcollapse

i just won an auction for a technics sl-d2, and this will be my first record player. does anyone know if this was a good decision?

Guest falloutcollapse
i just won an auction for a technics sl-d2, and this will be my first record player. does anyone know if this was a good decision?

Technics is usually quality.

If you need to make any adjustments, this site helped me out a lot: http://kabusa.com/setup.htm

thanks a lot

back in the day I used to listen to records on this badass:

1978 Fisher Price w/ built in speaker!

goldie locks and the three bears and rumpelstiltskin never sounded better.

d**n I wonder if we still have that thing. I didn't realize the was over 15 years old when I was using it.

Ha I was actually gunna post this as this was my first too. I wish I still had it, I just threw it out a couple years ago when I moved, and I've seen ones in decent condition go for 50 bucks on ebay. Man that speaker was so bad. As I got older I always wanted to open it up and mess with the speaker to make it sound better but never did.

AIWA PX-E855 Bought it off some metal head for $15 in 1999 in high school when I was a freshman. The kid was getting into that late nineties embarrassment called "rap metal/nu metal" and had just purchased two dj style tables and wanted to ditch his hi-fi.

His band mates who were older than me said that rock was like a pregnant women who's child was metal and punk was her after birth.

I got into a lot of fights in high school...

except that it's a belt drive, I think. Direct drive is better, I'm told, though I don't honestly know why. It should work well for ou regardless.

I've read several different places that its becasue a belt drive isolates noise form the motor better, but I don't know if it's that noticeable.

Ha I was actually gunna post this as this was my first too. I wish I still had it, I just threw it out a couple years ago when I moved, and I've seen ones in decent condition go for 50 bucks on ebay. Man that speaker was so bad. As I got older I always wanted to open it up and mess with the speaker to make it sound better but never did.

That thing was a trooper, I don't know how it stayed working so long, as a kid you do stupid stuff like spinning the record backwards or scratching it or whatever, just being careless in general. Yet it worked for a long time, that speaker did suck though.