Attn: Fall Out Boy

valentine

While I see the benefits of exposing their fans to new bands that may have influenced Fall Out Boy (fuck I admit it, I like Take This To Your Grave), I a) feel like they butchered the fuck out of the songs (even though they are covers and should have their own spin on them, those are all fucking classics) and B) it never fucking happens that way anyway. The original band never really gets the credit. Kids will hear it on the internet somewhere where no credit is given to the OG artist. So its pretty pointless. Plus, do you really think the people who were in Lifetime, Jawbreaker, and Gorilla Biscuits really want Fall Out Boy playing their songs at shows that cost as much as buying one copy of an album from all three of those bands?

There's pop and there's punk pop. I'm not buying in to this pop punk thing, I just think its pop.
The original band never really gets the credit. Kids will hear it on the internet somewhere where no credit is given to the OG artist. So its pretty pointless. Plus, do you really think the people who were in Lifetime, Jawbreaker, and Gorilla Biscuits really want Fall Out Boy playing their songs at shows that cost as much as buying one copy of an album from all three of those bands?

Hating on Fall Out Boy is just beating a dead horse and a ridiculously easy target. Ok, we get it. They're a mainstream pop band so by default we have to rip on them and get pissy when they cover a song from a band you like. I really don't see why a whole other thread dedicated to bashing the covers they play is necessary. I could understand being upset if they were trying to make money off of these songs or taking credit for these songs, but they're not capitalizing off of this at all. It's not like they go out on stage and play them live every night or they're played on the radio every hour. So much negativity and haterade. Let them have their fun.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The quality of the covers aside, if they get kids into bands like Jawbreaker, Gorilla Biscuits, and Lifetime I'm 100% for that. I was one of those kids who got into Jawbreaker from listening to that cover song. I'm all for bands encouraging kids to expand their horizons.

Besides, I could care less if a band is good at playing someone else's songs. A band should be good at playing, making and creating their own music first and foremost, which they are. (I realized not everyone will agree with this and I don't expect everyone in the world to like FOB as much as I do if at all but you get the general idea of what I'm trying to say).

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':9p935xw6]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':9p935xw6]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

Basically what I'm getting at is, what are people expecting from these covers exactly? Can you honestly expect them to come close to the original at all? It's like people are expecting them to be as good as the original. I find that usually the only time covers are exceptionally amazing and better than the original is when someone is covering a song that was done awfully by the original artist. Not always the case but it usually is.

It's kind of like how I saw Ted Leo the other night. He covered a Bruce Springsteen song and while it was really good, it wasn't better than the original because that original version holds a certain meaning and feeling to it that only the Boss can bring to it. Ted Leo is Ted Leo and Bruce Springsteen is Bruce Springsteen.

Basically what I'm getting at is, what are people expecting from these covers exactly? Can you honestly expect them to come close to the original at all? It's like people are expecting them to be as good as the original. I find that usually the only time covers are exceptionally amazing and better than the original is when someone is covering a song that was done awfully by the original artist. Not always the case but it usually is.

It's kind of like how I saw Ted Leo the other night. He covered a Bruce Springsteen song and while it was really good, it wasn't better than the original because that original version holds a certain meaning and feeling to it that only the Boss can bring to it. Ted Leo is Ted Leo and Bruce Springsteen is Bruce Springsteen.

honestly, it's just personal preference. based on FOB's track record with covers, a lot of people will develop a level of expectations from the band. also, a LOT of people like the songs they choose to cover. if someone really disliked all of FOB's covers, i could totally see how someone would want them to stop doing them. but they're at a point where they don't need to win over any new fans, so i'm sure they don't give a shit what the haters say.

http://www.myspace.com/fireworksmi

and, being a big taking back sunday and lifetime fan, that was a horrible cover. i think it's safe to say that lifetime covers will never be as good as the original, and if anyone IS gonna cover it, don't do it acoustic, and fucking slow, and stupid.