10 inch vs 1 sided 12 inch.

chaps

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I listen to NMB-Loud About Loathing all I can think about is that side B just sits there like a limp dick with no redeeming qualities. Whatever size, just don't make a record with the exact same thing on both sides. I don't care if you spit a loogie on side B, just make it different.

Thats absolutely retarded. Its and extra copy of the record, for the same price, why would you rather have some lame pattern etched in instead of music?

Oh yeah, you're right. It's the exact same thing as an extra copy of the record. If by extra you mean stuck to the back of the one record and stuck in the same package. That's exactly like an extra copy. Fuckwit.

Thats absolutely retarded. Its and extra copy of the record, for the same price, why would you rather have some lame pattern etched in instead of music?

Oh yeah, you're right. It's the exact same thing as an extra copy of the record. If by extra you mean stuck to the back of the one record and stuck in the same package. That's exactly like an extra copy. Fuckwit.

also, if you have a blank side of a record, the label saves like $100-200...and thus makes things marginally easier to release records for us small labels...I think "program repeats" records are kind of silly to waste that money...

also, if you have a blank side of a record, the label saves like $100-200...and thus makes things marginally easier to release records for us small labels...I think "program repeats" records are kind of silly to waste that money...

justin ftw

So you are saying, that having the same thing on both sides isnt like having an extra copy at all? Maybe it isn't for people who just flip gas light releases or only buy records to line up 30 copies and take pictures of them, but for those of us who actualy LISTEN to music, an LP with the same thing on 2 sides is alot nicer than a record with some designs on the back.

And Justin I totaly see what you are saying, but paying 10+ dollars (without shipping) for 15 minutes of music blows too. At least with the double A side, you would get something with some function.

So you are saying, that having the same thing on both sides isnt like having an extra copy at all? Maybe it isn't for people who just flip gas light releases or only buy records to line up 30 copies and take pictures of them, but for those of us who actualy LISTEN to music, an LP with the same thing on 2 sides is alot nicer than a record with some designs on the back.

And Justin I totaly see what you are saying, but paying 10+ dollars (without shipping) for 15 minutes of music blows too. At least with the double A side, you would get something with some function.

if a 12" record is one sided you shouldn't have to pay $10 for it....the label SHOULD pass those savings on the the buyer...I'm actually going to be doing a one sided 12" soon, and I'm going to do very economical packaging with it so I'll only have to charge like $7-8 for the record...including shipping. Anyone that has bought a 7" for $6.99(minus shipping) lately can pretty much go fuck themselves if they complain about a one sided record...

but for those of us who actualy LISTEN to music, an LP with the same thing on 2 sides is alot nicer than a record with some designs on the back.

hey now, speak for yourself, from a guy who actually listens to his records....putting the exact same song on the other side of a record...well that's just plain ole stupid. I'm going to get more out of a etching that I glance at once then from the same god damn track (or tracks) being on the b-side. Srsly...press the same tracks on the b-side? Who thinks of this shit?

if a 12" record is one sided you shouldn't have to pay $10 for it....the label SHOULD pass those savings on the the buyer...I'm actually going to be doing a one sided 12" soon, and I'm going to do very economical packaging with it so I'll only have to charge like $7-8 for the record...including shipping. Anyone that has bought a 7" for $6.99(minus shipping) lately can pretty much go fuck themselves if they complain about a one sided record...

If it would cost an extra 100-200 dollars for the second side, why not press the extra side and charge the extra 40 cents on a 500 pressing or 20 cents on a 1000 pressing? I am sure people wouldnt mind shelling out those few dimes for something that actualy provides an extra function.

hey now, speak for yourself, from a guy who actually listens to his records....putting the exact same song on the other side of a record...well that's just plain ole stupid. I'm going to get more out of a etching that I glance at once then from the same god damn track (or tracks) being on the b-side. Srsly...press the same tracks on the b-side? Who thinks of this shit?

No, infact it is the opposite of stupid, these releases wont be in print for ever, so what happens 20 years down the line when you either play it to death, or people as stupid as you have kids and the kid scratches up your 1 sided record? That second side is a back up. Etched B sides in no way offer any function, and they only serve as an example and reminder that vinyl is no longer about music and more about trendy douchebaggery.

If it would cost an extra 100-200 dollars for the second side, why not press the extra side and charge the extra 40 cents on a 500 pressing or 20 cents on a 1000 pressing? I am sure people wouldnt mind shelling out those few dimes for something that actualy provides an extra function.

No, infact it is the opposite of stupid, these releases wont be in print for ever, so what happens 20 years down the line when you either play it to death, or people as stupid as you have kids and the kid scratches up your 1 sided record? That second side is a back up. Etched B sides in no way offer any function, and they only serve as an example and reminder that vinyl is no longer about music and more about trendy douchebaggery.

yawn....

My opinion on this, still stupid.

I am glad one of the few people who I thought had some good taste in music here is a jerk...I'd call you names but you like Thomas Function so I still like you.

yawn....

My opinion on this, still stupid.

I am glad one of the few people who I thought had some good taste in music here is a jerk...I'd call you names but you like Thomas Function so I still like you.

All this comes down to is Fuction > Internet Fan Boy Fodder.

I wanna know how much it would cost to etch a design into the B sides of 1000 LP

I also want to know how much it would cost to silkscreen something onto 1000 records b sides.

the etching costs the same as a plate....they don't etch them one by one...

silk screening can cost you either $20 for materials and your own time or more by hiring a shop. So if/when I do this, that's what i will do...screen them all myself, on my time and buy ink and burn a screen.

I wanna know how much it would cost to etch a design into the B sides of 1000 LP

I also want to know how much it would cost to silkscreen something onto 1000 records b sides.

silk screening can cost you either $20 for materials and your own time or more by hiring a shop. So if/when I do this, that's what i will do...screen them all myself, on my time and buy ink and burn a screen.

How long do you think it will take to screen them all yourself?

I dunno, I've always thought of an album as more than music. Artwork, liner notes, etc are all part of an album for me. And until the entire PRESS EVERYTHING ON THREE TO FIVE COLORS thing started, I thought that vinyl color could too.

But I think the etching or screen print still would fall under artwork, depending. Unless it's some kind of tracklist or something on the back, then that's cool in a way, but at the same time kind of "why?"

How long do you think it will take to screen them all yourself?

a couple hours if I do them all at once...but I'll probably have to do them in batches