Methadones Not Econimically Viable vinyl update

[image]

Methadones "Not Economically Viable" vinyl release

Category: Music

Hi everyone,

I just got off the phone with Mike Soucy from the Methadones and I have an update on the long awaited vinyl release of their 3rd full length "Not Economically Viable". It seems Dan is going to finish up a song from the original sessions with Matt Allison at Atlas Studios. Matt is also going to re-mix and re-master the whole record, and all this is supposed to be done by January 7th. So with all that in mind, I'll be sending this off to be pressed ASAP after that...I'm actually going to fill out the paper-work today.

...ok...the thing is, that even without the bonus track, the record is over 40 minutes long. I'm going to guesstimate that the bonus track will be around three minutes to three and a half minutes long. Usually, the recommended time pressing plants want to limit times to is 13-17 minutes per side...so 20-22 minutes is possible...but not ideal as far as how sound goes...and honestly, why go through all the work to re-issue a record on vinyl if you're just going to make a record that sounds like shit...so this is more likely than not going to be a double LP...I have entertained the idea of doing a double 10" but those are more expensive to produce than a 12" and as this record is already going to be a bank-breaker...I'm just going to have to go the 2x12" route. Plus, in doing a double LP the times per side will drop to around 10-12 minutes per side which is ideal for 45rpm mastering.

Next up is the issue with how to make the covers...I'm either going to do a gate-fold cover, or...a double width single sleeve with a 11x17 poster insert...that I still need to work out. Either way this is gonna be damn expensive...but fuck it, it'll be worth it.

Anyways, as a reminder, the Methadones are playing New Years Eve in Chicago at Reggie's with the Lawrence Arms, the Copyrights and Off With their Heads...that should be a good time!

let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for your time,

-justin / ucr.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn. I wouldn't mind if this was just a single lp but I'll buy it regardless. good work!

I think the only way I could get it to fit on one LP (and sound good)would be if i could find a way to have it half speed mastered like the Metallica re-issues, but as far as i know that's a weird major label exclusive deal. I've never heard of anyone outside of a major being able to do it.

Believe me, I don't wanna spend $5000+ putting out one release, but there's no cheap way to make a double LP. Though, I absolutely could get this thing crammed onto a single LP but it would probably sound like shit.

i read the 1st couple of pages and the page that dan replied too. its some depressing stuff but i just pretend it didn't happen so i can still love screeching weasel and red scare.

yeah any shred of respect I had for Ben has been thoroughly ruined by that whole mess and some other shit he's pulled as of late... still a hell of a lyricist, but goddamn that dude is a piece of shit. (I was never a SW fan, and his recent behavior has pretty much solidified that i don't ever expect to become one)

Shit yeah! So stoked for this release.

Justin, have you put any thought to the colors yet?

it's probably going to be 100 on black, 200 on red, 200 on white.

Nice! I love that limited black. I better hurry up and set up a payment plan with you so my broke ass can afford all 3! ;)They will be mine.

i read the 1st couple of pages and the page that dan replied too. its some depressing stuff but i just pretend it didn't happen so i can still love screeching weasel and red scare.

I haven't gotten to the reply yet, but I did find some interesting vinyl related info that I will make a new post for.