Starting a new vinyl collection site

tue

Thanks for the answers and encouragement all of you guys.

When I was super anal about my collection, I used this application called Catraxx. It's essentially an Access database with every kind of category imaginable. It's almost overkill. Lots of good stuff though and possibly some suggestions for what you might want to add to your site. You can add pictures and weblinks in the database as well.

http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/

Thanks for the link. I can definitely use it for inspiration, but I'll probably not be as excessive.

checkmyvinyl was made to try to answer some of the problems people have with other sites as well so we are also always welcome to suggestions

so if you ever have any feel free to let us know and we will take them into consideration and we will try to address them

Seems okay, but i just find it a little bit confusing and crowded.

I would like to see a listing with some kind of page that lists the usual Name/Album/Format (7", LP, 2x7", other)/ Color/pressing info/ and a way to upload the cover if it hasn't already been uploaded. I also want to see a way of looking for random tradelists to see who has a certain item.. Much like Dead Format (which i love by the way for that reason alone).

Would you rather see it categorized as on Record Nerd or alphabetized were all the formats are together for the same artist as some people do on their Google Spreadsheets?

i think any site where i have to enter each record into my list via some form, one piece of information at a time, is annoying. ie recordnerd i tried this site because the search function... i think i got to the H's on my 7" list and said suck it. its fine if you have 10 records and you just go from there. but when you have even a sort of substantial amount it just sucks. i love hows your edge because you just make a list and bam youre done. its searchable and its what you make of it.

Would the problem be solved if you could add multiple records on the same page or is it the input forms that are slowing the process down?

There needs to be a site where if I'm looking at someone's list and I see a record that I own I can click "add to my list" and BAM it copies all of the information to my list.

Good idea. I was also planning on making a clone function so if you had different colours of the same record, you wouldn't have to enter all the data again.

We built a little Flex-based app to help us to keep track of our collection / write notes about albums that we had. Our friends really liked the simplicity / design so we decided to make it available to everyone and build it out further.

In the past, I've steered clear of spreadsheets simply because they're ugly, cold, and reminded me of work...

It looks really nice. When do you think you'll open the site?

I also made the very basics of the site as my final project in programming class last year in school. You can see some screen shots of it below. I might be able to use the structure of it, but I think I'll have to make a new design for it first.

[image]

[image]

[image]

i think some mix of dead format and some of the ideas check my vinyl has would be cool. dead format would be perfect if i could go to the pressing info find a record i have and click it and add it to my list and any details (i.e. if my copy is signed or numbered). you can do this on check my vinyl, but CMV is just a ugly site that gets confusing. i started using it by adding a ton of the records to the site database before adding them to my list. some people have just made their own lists instead. DF is super clean and nice looking, i just wish their pressing info would be updated faster (if ever), but other than that DF is the best for sure. simple usually wins if it looks nice.

Thanks! Yea we kept that out for now - not something we found all that useful. If it's something enough people are interested in, we'll come up with an interesting approach to sharing your list.

This is the only use I have for any collection listing websites. It looks cool though.

I agree. I have my list so people can see it and see what's up for trade and what not.