ipod backup

my girlfriend bought a new ipod and because her ipod songs arent in her itunes library, im trying to get the songs off the ipod onto the pc.

does anyone know of a free program that will take them all off in one go? i tried a trial version of one and it only copied over half the songs and now it only does 6 at time which is damn annoying since theres more then 1000 to go.

any help guys?

I used PodUtil (this may be what you are using...I dunno) and it worked, but required you to watch it transfer because a little "upgrade to the full version to prevent from seeing this message" window would pop up after 10 songs or so. It was tedious to do, but it worked just fine.

Other than that, you can get software for $10-$20 that will work, but I personally prefer the free route.

If you're on a PC...

You don't need a program, just open your ipod through folders, not itunes, and right-click --> view hidden files or something like that. Find the music folder, drag it to your desktop.

Then, go to itunes and make sure you have the settings so that it copies the files into an itunes folder and "keep itunes folder organized" and then drag the entire folder off your desktop into itunes. Wait for it all to copy, and there you go.

I haven't done this in three years, but I can't imagine anything has changed that would block it from working.

If you're on a mac, buy a PC.

If you're on a PC...

You don't need a program, just open your ipod through folders, not itunes, and right-click --> view hidden files or something like that. Find the music folder, drag it to your desktop.

Then, go to itunes and make sure you have the settings so that it copies the files into an itunes folder and "keep itunes folder organized" and then drag the entire folder off your desktop into itunes. Wait for it all to copy, and there you go.

I haven't done this in three years, but I can't imagine anything has changed that would block it from working.

You can still do this and I've done it a few times but iDump does all of it and it's much easier and more organized. When you do it the long way it puts all the files in weird folders and under strange four lettered names. Once you add the folder to iTunes everything is fine for the most part but if you want to find the original mp3 file its annoying to find it.

If you're on a PC...

You can still do this and I've done it a few times but iDump does all of it and it's much easier and more organized. When you do it the long way it puts all the files in weird folders and under strange four lettered names. Once you add the folder to iTunes everything is fine for the most part but if you want to find the original mp3 file its annoying to find it.

You can find any file in iTunes by right clicking > "reveal in Finder" (I'm assuming it's "Reveal in Explorer" for PCs?)

You can find any file in iTunes by right clicking > "reveal in Finder" (I'm assuming it's "Reveal in Explorer" for PCs?)

Yeah you can "Show in Windows Explorer" but I just didn't like how the music was all randomly organized instead of grouped together.