Doghouse ruins everything! 4MM

I understand the desire to collect every variant of a particular record (actually I don't, but for argument's sake let's say I do). But what I don't understand is getting angry and blaming the label for pressing a record on different colours ... the same label that is making it possible for you to buy the product in the first place ... as if there's some binding law that you have to buy every colour of a record.

I may as well go get pissed at pepsi for producing so many cans of their delicious soft drink and obligating me to buy so many of them.

why do people get mad when more variants come out when they collect the variants? shouldn't they be happy because they are collecting them in the first place? thus making their collection bigger?

Why would someone be happy about having to spend more money to get what they want?

Record labels know that there are a lot of people out there that want to collect every variant of certain band's records. This means that the more colors they press, the more records they sell.

They are guaranteed to make more money faster by pressing 2000 records on 2 colors (1000 on each) instead of 2000 records on one color. Im not saying that they wouldnt be able to sell 2000 of these on one color, but if there were 2 colors they will sell out a lot faster if people are buying both colors at once.

The labels can do whatever they want in regards to pressing the variants, but I think the right thing to do is announce all the pressing info before releasing the records. That way, collectors know exactly what they are getting themselves into. Random colors should not just pop up. Especially if they look similar to the original pressing.

The labels can do whatever they want in regards to pressing the variants, but I think the right thing to do is announce all the pressing info before releasing the records. That way, collectors know exactly what they are getting themselves into. Random colors should not just pop up. Especially if they look similar to the original pressing.

I like knowing pressing info too, but I've never felt like it's the company duty to me to report to me. They don't owe me anything. If I like their product, I'll purchase it, end of story. I don't see why variant collectors think they are so important that they have to be answered to all the time.

"We can't press X-amount copies because we might offend the collectors."

"We can't press on X-amount of colours because we might offend the collectors."

"We have to let the collectors know exactly what they're getting into it because we're obviously forcing them to buy every version of a record we put out."

I'm sure the folks at record labels have more important things to fret about.

I like knowing pressing info too, but I've never felt like it's the company duty to me to report to me. They don't owe me anything. If I like their product, I'll purchase it, end of story. I don't see why variant collectors think they are so important that they have to be answered to all the time.

"We can't press X-amount copies because we might offend the collectors."

"We can't press on X-amount of colours because we might offend the collectors."

"We have to let the collectors know exactly what they're getting into it because we're obviously forcing them to buy every version of a record we put out."

I'm sure the folks at record labels have more important things to fret about.

qft