If you've pressed records at United help me out

timwt

Ok, well I'm an idiot to begin with and I've never pressed a record before so I've got a ton of questions. They're probably stupid, but here they are.

1. First off I'm still waiting on artwork so I don't know what colors I need pressed, but I want to get the test presses taken care of while I'm waiting on that. I can just send in the order form and get just the tests made can't I? And then send in a separate order for the records when I get the artwork?

i have a love/hate relationship with stamped labels now. ive done it with 3 records and you may begin to hate yourself and life if youre doing more than 100. doing more than 500 could be a nightmare. however, im still into the idea! at the same time though if youre just doing one color labels it shouldnt cost you too much.

I hand stamped all 500 of the first BBB release. biggest pain in the ass ever, I wouldn't recommend it. 1 color labels at United are only around $85 anyways and that's for 1000 which is perfect if you end up doing a 2nd press.

I don't understand which of these charges I need. There's so much shit under labels:

Is United printing your Labels? Yes ______ No ______ (A & B sides must be shown to match w/stampers)

If not, where are your labels coming from? __________________________

Color Label Paper __________________ Color Ink ____________________

Typesetting Charge . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $25.00 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Printing Label or logo from digital file (minimum) . . . . . .$25.00 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Digital Files: Provide Bleed ______$25.00 + Barcode _______$25.00 + PDF Proof _______$25 + Edit _______ $50. =

If Label is sent in on a disc with no print out, your order will be held until a print out is provided.

Labels, one color paper, one color ink $99.00 per 1000 sets

stamped labels are the best. but with United it's almost the same price for blanks as it is 1-color.

I do not recommend United's customer service. you'll want to reach through the phone and strangle them.

stamped labels are the best. but with United it's almost the same price for blanks as it is 1-color.

I do not recommend United's customer service. you'll want to reach through the phone and strangle them.

This is what I've heard and that sucks because I have a ton of questions.

Go to one of the smaller guys. Bill Smith is highly recommended. I'd also recommend Rainbo Records even though I did have a semi-bad experience with them. I've learned that pressing records is not an exact science and no matter which plan you use you're going to run into issues eventually. The best you can hope for is to use a plan that has people you can talk to. When I was dealing with Rainbo I was able to call one guy every time and he knew exactly who I was and what was going on with my record. You won't get that with United.

My next record I'm getting done through Lucky Laquers. From what I understand Dave (from Lucky) just does the mastering and then acts as a broker to get the records pressed. However, his prices are great and I've heard he does awesome work. I will actually be co-releasing an LP with Dave's label and with Dirt Cult Records. Should be fun!

tim, just have imprint print your labels....cheaper and they do them ona better stock of paper...trust me on this.

Ouch, it says $275 for 1000 labels.

are you doing full color labels? if you're contemplating stamping them, I'm guessing you're planning on doing one color, those are a lot cheaper...email walt and ask!