Vinyl Collective Label of the Month: Don Giovanni

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

Coming from a zine background, I constantly have the itch to put together a zine/catalog that we can send out with Vinyl Collective orders showcasing some of our favorite labels, bands, and releases. An actual zine might never happen, but at least we have our site to showcase some of the things we think deserve attention.

Every month along with our Collector of the Month, we plan to present to you a label of the month and a brick and mortar store of the month (store feature will be posted tomorrow). This month, we are exciting to bring you a feature on the New Jersey independent label, Don Giovanni http://www.dongiovannirecords.com/. Don Giovanni is a great label who has consistently released great music on vinyl. You are more than likely familiar with the many releases they have done with the Ergs!, but they have also released records by The Measure (SA), Pregnant, Groucho Marxists, The Dustheads, Steinways, and more. Joe from Don Giovanni was kind enough to answer my questions about why he releases vinyl, his thoughts on colored vinyl, records he would love to put out, manufacturers, and what bands can do to get his attention.

I hope you take a minute to read more about Don Giovanni. Labels like Don Giovanni really inspire us at Vinyl Collective. Later today, we will be announcing a big Don Giovanni contest where you can win some of their releases as well as test pressings from the Ergs! and more. Thanks Joe for taking the time to do this feature; we hope you continue to put out great records for a long time to come.

Read the interview here

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2009/03/03/vinyl-collective-label-of-the-month-don-giovanni/

Feel free to nominate who you think should be our next vinyl collective label of the month.

For the most part, all this limited color nonsense detracts from the actual purpose of making and buying records. People are buying music they are afraid to even put on or that they don’t even need two because they already have at least one more copy, it doesn’t make any sense. We are in the business of selling music, and not collectibles, and I want someone to buy something from us because they want to listen to it, and not because it fills a hole in a collection of some sort.

qft

collecting is cool, but its sad to sometimes see it take precedent over listening