Photographers--Help Please

don't get that canon (no offense dan)

i worked at a camera store and always advised people to not get the cameras that take AA batteries.

definately choose one that takes a rechargable lithium battery.

i'd recommand a nikon, because i use them and love them. pick up a D60 with the kit lens; it's a little more than you probably want to spend, but you won't regret it. a dSLR is the way you want to go if you want to take decent pictures at shows.

I have an older model of this canon. I will say although i love the camera the AA battery thing can get a bit pricey. On the other hand, the batteries they have now can last much much longer than older ones plus there are rechargeables. The new duracells seem to last forever in mine but I guess it depends how much you use it. This camera takes great pictures.

What's wrong with AA, Allison?

1. rechargable lithium batteries last much, much longer. yeah, people will argue that you can get regular rechargable ones that last awhile (especially the enloop ones, which are the best/longest lasting rechargable AAs out there, because of the way they're discharged completely then recharged again before you even use them). however, you would probably cycle through 2 or 3 sets of those before you'd need to change your rechargable lithium batt. your other option would be straight up lithium AAs, and while they last awhile, they're not rechargable and you'd spend a lot on them. i went to texas for a week last summer and took pics pretty much the whole time and i didnt have to change the battery in my DSLR all week. i was really amazed.

2. convenience. AAs are just a pain in the ass. i hate that my sb-600 flash takes 4 AAs cuz im always lugging at least 2 extra sets around with me just in case, and it takes up a lot of room and just pisses me off, haha. rechargable lithiums are usually much slimmer and smaller and you can get a generic replacement for most cameras for $15 or $20 a piece.

i advised my pop-pop against getting a canon that took AAs and he decided to listen to the kid in circuit city instead of me. at my graduation from college his batteries died, he didnt have replacements with him and he was pissed as hell that he didn't listen to me, haha.

to sum it up, rechargable lithiums are cheaper in the long run, last a lot longer, and are a heck of a lot more convenient.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :]

i worked at a camera store and always advised people to not get the cameras that take AA batteries.

i'd recommand a nikon, because i use them and love them. pick up a D60 with the kit lens; it's a little more than you probably want to spend, but you won't regret it. a dSLR is the way you want to go if you want to take decent pictures at shows.

I can't get behind this. Canon vs. Nikon is all bullshit. Both companies make awesome bodies and good glass and feature a full array of accessories. Pick a system, live with it and enjoy it. All that matters is the image, not the camera that took it.

Besides, my Leicas will blow your Nikons out of the water. ;):P

I can't get behind this. Canon vs. Nikon is all bullshit. Both companies make awesome bodies and good glass and feature a full array of accessories. Pick a system, live with it and enjoy it. All that matters is the image, not the camera that took it.

haha i said THAT canon, not A canon.

i totally agree with you that picture quality between canon/nikon is virtually the same. i just prefer nikon because of the menu system and i find the grip on nikon dslrs to fit my hand much better than the canons.

i just said not that canon because of the AA batteries.

i have all nikon glass and accessories for my SLR stuff, but use a canon point and shoot for fun stuff and love it.

and yeah, leica >>> all.

haha i said THAT canon, not A canon.

i totally agree with you that picture quality between canon/nikon is virtually the same. i just prefer nikon because of the menu system and i find the grip on nikon dslrs to fit my hand much better than the canons.

i just said not that canon because of the AA batteries.

i have all nikon glass and accessories for my SLR stuff, but use a canon point and shoot for fun stuff and love it.

and yeah, leica >>> all.

Yikes, you're right. I thought you were saying to avoid Canon altogether. Next time I'll pay closer attention. :-X

p.s. if you decide you don't mind the AA inconveniences, fuji makes several amazing cameras that are almost on par with entry level dslrs in terms of picture quality and features

http://tinyurl.com/c9j39z fuji finepix s700 is my favorite

good call. I have a fuji finepix s1000 and I freakin' love it...I've taken about 100+ pics this week for SXSW...works great. and I have some rechargeable aa's that work great so far..

Yikes, you're right. I thought you were saying to avoid Canon altogether. Next time I'll pay closer attention. :-X

it's cool! :]

nice to know there's a fellow photographer on the board!

good call. I have a fuji finepix s1000 and I freakin' love it...I've taken about 100+ pics this week for SXSW...works great. and I have some rechargeable aa's that work great so far..

when i worked at ritz, i pushed fujis so hard cuz they're such awesome point and shoots. they take two diff kinds of memory cards (sd and xd) and have a neat setting that allows you to take a picture consecutively; one with the flash and one without, for those weird times when youre not sure if you need the flash or don;t.

if i was getting another point and shoot, it would def be a fuji.

I have always prefered canon over Nikon ever since my days of shooting for the school paper. The menu system just works for me. Plus there's nothing sweeter than a an "L" lens in my eyes.

it's cool! :]

nice to know there's a fellow photographer on the board!

You can add another one to your list :)

<3 Erik

megapixels mean nothing. ok, they mean something, but for the average person who doesn't want to do insane cropping, editing or blowing up of pictures to poster size, anything 5mp and over is perfectly fine.

heck, my camera (a D70s) is only 6.1 mp and does fine. and photography is my hobby haha.

This would be perfect

Don't let the 6.1 megapixels scare you. That is a fine camera and will take great pictures.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/19269/Nikon-D40-6-1MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Kit-w-18-55mm-lens-350

What was said about MP counts is true. This camera will blow ANY point and shoot out of the water. There are better DSLRs out there, sure, but at $350 I doubt you could do any better (unless you shop around and get some good deals on used stuff). Anyone considering a P&S should seriously look that DSLR.