Photographers--Help Please

When I shoot shows I use my canon rebel xt (8mp) and a canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. I pretty much swear by this combo. The 1.8 is a wide aperture so you'll be able to handle those serious low light suituations. Shop smart and you can get both for roughly 400.

Hey man, sorry to spam the board but since it sounds like you're into available light photography I figured I'd throw this out there... I still have a Sigma 30/1.4 (Canon mount) that I need to get rid of. I bought a DSLR and this lens last year because I took a digital photo class. I sold the body a long time ago to my friend but never bothered to put the lens on ebay or anything. It's a really great lens, with great build quality and almost a full stop faster than your 50/1.8 and the wider perspective can come in handy. Sorry, I sound like a salesman. If you're interested let me know. The glass is perfect and I never had any focus issues, only reason I got rid of the DSLR is I was never really drawn to digital so I went back to my film (Leicas and Rolleis).

i just got a 50mm/1.4. i haven't tried it out at a show yet, cuz sometimes i wind up getting too close and wouldn't want to risk fumbling around in the middle of a set trying to switch lenses.

If you're at a show where the band is on the stage a 50/1.4 is probably perfect. However, if you're talking about a basement show or something similar where the band is on the floor then I have always found 50s to be too wide (at least with a 1.6x crop sensor, on film it's great). Just try the lens out!

i just got a 50mm/1.4. i haven't tried it out at a show yet, cuz sometimes i wind up getting too close and wouldn't want to risk fumbling around in the middle of a set trying to switch lenses.

If you're at a show where the band is on the stage a 50/1.4 is probably perfect. However, if you're talking about a basement show or something similar where the band is on the floor then I have always found 50s to be too wide (at least with a 1.6x crop sensor, on film it's great). Just try the lens out!

yeah, the venue i frequent most often i wind up being off to the side and practically on top of them to take pics just because of the configuration of the room/stage. that and if i'm any further back or directly in front i get crushed by people dancing and moshing, haha.

but yeah, im going to see converge this week so i'll try it out!

the D50 is pretty much the older version of the D40.

the main disadvantage of the D40 is that the older nikon lenses (read not DX ones) don't autofocus on it. which is unfortunate. so if it's a lens specifically manufactured for digital SLRS, it will work, if it's not, then you have to shoot everything in manual.

edit:

i have a D70s and love it. I'd recommend picking up one used if you could get your hands on one. they've gone down in price significantly with the relase of the D60, D80, and now the D90. One thing it has on any other Nikon in its general price range is that the flash syncs at way higher speeds than any other camera. my D70s outdoes my boyfriends D80 tenfold in that respect.

the main disadvantage of the D40 is that the older nikon lenses (read not DX ones) don't autofocus on it. which is unfortunate. so if it's a lens specifically manufactured for digital SLRS, it will work, if it's not, then you have to shoot everything in manual.

edit:

i have a D70s and love it. I'd recommend picking up one used if you could get your hands on one. they've gone down in price significantly with the relase of the D60, D80, and now the D90. One thing it has on any other Nikon in its general price range is that the flash syncs at way higher speeds than any other camera. my D70s outdoes my boyfriends D80 tenfold in that respect.

The D40 includes the AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II ED Lens, which does autofocus. It's not a VR lens (Vibration Reduction), though, which kinda sucks.

edit:

The D40 includes the AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II ED Lens, which does autofocus. It's not a VR lens (Vibration Reduction), though, which kinda sucks.

yeah, that's a decent kit lens. and i don't personally own any VR lenses.

i'm not saying you're one of them, because you're probably not, but a lot of people mistakenly think that the VR will allow them to take pictures of things in motion and have them be crisp. the VR only helps in situations where you're shooting in low light or at low ISOs and youre handholding the camera.

interestingly enough, pentax dslrs have anti-shake software built into the actual camera body instead of the lenses, which actually makes a lot more sense. I feel like VR is mostly just a ploy to get you to spend some extra money on a lens. that's just my opinion, though haha. i don't often shoot situations where the VR would come in that handy i guess.

yeah, that's a decent kit lens. and i don't personally own any VR lenses.

i'm not saying you're one of them, because you're probably not, but a lot of people mistakenly think that the VR will allow them to take pictures of things in motion and have them be crisp. the VR only helps in situations where you're shooting in low light or at low ISOs and youre handholding the camera.

interestingly enough, pentax dslrs have anti-shake software built into the actual camera body instead of the lenses, which actually makes a lot more sense. I feel like VR is mostly just a ploy to get you to spend some extra money on a lens. that's just my opinion, though haha. i don't often shoot situations where the VR would come in that handy i guess.

That was my initial thought, as well. Then I had long discussions with technically knowledgeable people regarding image stabilization in the lens verses in the body, and the consensus is that stabilizing in the lens a la Nikon and Canon is the better way to go. Their rationale seemed to make sense, and I have a pretty good bullshit detector (not that these people had anything to gain one way or the other).

Regardless, the D40 under $400 is a great deal!

agreed!

the only qualm i have with dslrs being so inexpensive and readily available is that now there are a multitude of 14 year old girls out there who now think that they're 'photographers' because they have a camera like that. and that's just because as a whole, i detest 14 year old girls. especially ones with 293874298346 pictures on myspace of themselves from weird angles 'photoshopped' by applying a filter and changing the contrast.

...but that's a whole different beast, haha.

agreed!

the only qualm i have with dslrs being so inexpensive and readily available is that now there are a multitude of 14 year old girls out there who now think that they're 'photographers' because they have a camera like that. and that's just because as a whole, i detest 14 year old girls. especially ones with 293874298346 pictures on myspace of themselves from weird angles 'photoshopped' by applying a filter and changing the contrast.

Technology has diluted a lot of things over the years.

Any asshole with Photoshop thinks they're a graphic designer.

Any asshole with ProTools thinks they're a recording engineer.

Any asshole with Final Cut Pro thinks they're a director.

What sucks is that they're kind of right. Things have become so simplified and accessible that almost anyone can do it. All the Digital SLR's can be used as glorified point and shoot cameras, and they'll take awesome pictures almost all of the time. Does it matter that they don't know what an aperture setting is? I dunno.

This is pretty much the draw back to 50mm you got to work with your distance from the stage. That and focusing before your shot. When you have the lens open that wide the subject falls out of focus really damn quick.

<3 Erik

agreed!

Technology has diluted a lot of things over the years.

Any asshole with Photoshop thinks they're a graphic designer.

Any asshole with ProTools thinks they're a recording engineer.

Any asshole with Final Cut Pro thinks they're a director.

What sucks is that they're kind of right. Things have become so simplified and accessible that almost anyone can do it. All the Digital SLR's can be used as glorified point and shoot cameras, and they'll take awesome pictures almost all of the time. Does it matter that they don't know what an aperture setting is? I dunno.

As for this topic I pretty much just let them be. Although it helps that I stay out of Ritz, Best Buy, Guitar Center, and Apple stores when it comes to buying shit haha.

<3 Erik

Hey guys, my friend recommended one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-Digital-Optical-Stabilization/dp/B000ENTFDG/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It's not a DSLR, but I really don't need anything super technical, I'm more concerned with writing about music, and only need a camera that will take decent pictures. I've looked all around online at the Canon D40, and don't see any in my price range. Again, I'm not looking to make photography a major pursuit, I just want something that will take decent pics. Are they high-end point and shoots any good for that?

Hey guys, my friend recommended one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-Digital-Optical-Stabilization/dp/B000ENTFDG/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It's not a DSLR, but I really don't need anything super technical, I'm more concerned with writing about music, and only need a camera that will take decent pictures. I've looked all around online at the Canon D40, and don't see any in my price range. Again, I'm not looking to make photography a major pursuit, I just want something that will take decent pics. Are they high-end point and shoots any good for that?

Honestly, I’d pass on the so-called “high end” point and shoot cameras. They might have some features that set them apart from a regular point and shoot, such as a longer zoom range, but you’re still getting nothing more than a low end consumer camera. I’ve always believed that those are nothing more than regular point and shoots in larger bodies to trick consumers into thinking they’ll get better images because they look more professional. However, it’s still a point and shoot with a small sensor, no removable lenses, limited ISO range, minimal focus controls, a crappy on camera flash, etc. For only $50 more you can get a DSLR with a larger sensor (which means larger, crisper photos) that can accept a full range of lenses, flashes and accessories and will allow you complete creative control over the final image. If you really don’t need all of that, it’s ok, but I wouldn’t waste my money on one of those “high-end” point and shoots, just get one that easily fits in your pocket.

i plan on getting one of those $250 powershot sx ones when i get a little saved up. right now i have an old shitty fujifilm, which is like a tank (i left it on the roof of my car and drove across a bridge, it feel about 20 ft onto the rocks/stream and it still works fine) but has some big limits.