Record store day bullshit drama

Sucks that something that was intended to be positive ended up being something that just made a bunch of people feel left out, stores and customers included. Hopefully they'll organize this better next year, and maybe implement some strategies to make this more than a cash grab.

man definately. It is shitty to look on ebay and see 7" records that came out yesterday for sale no less than 20 bucks.

There is no way around this.

I agree that there's no way around the ebay flipping, but stores seemed to be just as bad as everyone else. People were talking about their stores marking records up to double the price as other places. Also, the thing about having to join the indie label coalition to get certain records is bullshit. Also, it sucks that some people just used it as free advertising, but didn't carry any items. Maybe to get on the list you should have to order x amount of dollars worth of items.

I dunno, I wasn't really into much myself. The only thing I'd really like is the Modest Mouse 7" which didn't even come out, and maybe the Cursive record. I just seems like lots of people were disappointed.

There is no way around this.

I agree that there's no way around the ebay flipping, but stores seemed to be just as bad as everyone else. People were talking about their stores marking records up to double the price as other places. Also, the thing about having to join the indie label coalition to get certain records is bullshit. Also, it sucks that some people just used it as free advertising, but didn't carry any items. Maybe to get on the list you should have to order x amount of dollars worth of items.

I dunno, I wasn't really into much myself. The only thing I'd really like is the Modest Mouse 7" which didn't even come out, and maybe the Cursive record. I just seems like lots of people were disappointed.

Agreed. I had to order the Cursive split. Like I said earlier, I did want and get the Waits 7" from Tonevendor.

Nonetheless if you aren't carrying stuff you shouldn't be on the list (or at least make a different list). Hear Again is not what I would call a "record store."

it's shit like this that makes my roommate pissed. greedy fucker. my pal waited in line for a while just to get one of these and didn't. this fuck got 2 copies just to flip. i personally could care less about slayer, but my pal was heartbroken. guess he'll have to break down and buy it this way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLAYER-Ultra-RARE-7-inch-Psychopathy-Red-MINT-SEALED_W0QQitemZ280335639728QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item280335639728&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Limited to 5000?! It'll be $7.99 in a few weeks...

As for all of the stores not getting everything... Well, they still had to order it from their normal distributors. If they signed up for RSD and thought shit would just show up, then it's their own stupidity as to why they got nothing. It sucks, but you gotta call first.

What they should do for next year is get the releases finalized, then have the stores order the amounts that they want. Then, when it comes time to press them, it's exactly the number that the stores will be getting. Sounds like it would work, but who knows...

>So is it the fault of the record stores not ordering the right shit >or the distributors fucking stores over?

little bit of both.

my store (Green Noise) was informed a couple of days before RSD that we wouldn't be getting most of the major label related RSD releases that we had preordered over a month ago.

was given very vague reasons, but I kinda get the feeling that those records wound up being allocated to bigger stores.

also I couldn't find a distributor who carried the Bad Religion 7", and my calls to Epitaph went un-returned.

that's really pretty minor as far as drama goes, though.

we got, and sold, most of ones that we REALLY wanted (Jay/Sonic Youth splits, Jesus Lizard box sets etc), no one seemed to care that we didn't have ALL the RSD titles.

(except one dude who left in a snit cause we didn't have/didn't care that we didn't have the Modest Mouse 7")

overall, we had a great time, and the store had it's busiest day ever!

was a little cynical about this whole RSD thing going in, but now I can't wait for next year.

oh, and the Ebay flipping thing?

that is quite lame, but there's not a thing you can do about it.

although we did limit everything to 1 per customer. I heard that over at another Portland record store who's name I won't mention, they sold the entire stock of Bad Religion 7"s to the first kid in line.