Will playing old 78rpm records harm my cartridge?

I'd be surprised if they were listenable with a regular cartridge. I think you'd need a special needle for shellac 78s. As far as damage goes, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sound right. I have a portable player with a nylon needle that you flip over for 78s. Never tried a 78 with the other (wrong) side of the needle.

Well, I played a couple of them and everything seems to be okay. There was a lot of cracks, pops and static in the records, but I think that's to be expected with records this old.

My favorite so far is a record by Fred Lowery. The dude just whistles. It's awesome! That's something you don't hear in music these days.

If you have any Jack Teagarden records in there contact me without delay.

No Jack Teagarden. There are two Glenn Miller & his Orchestra records though. I read that Jack played in Miller's Orchestra, but I have no idea if he's on these recordings. The songs are Moonlight Cocktail, Happy In Love, Serenade in Blue and That's Sabotage.

Almost all the records are big band music from the 40's and 50's.

My favorite so far is a record by Fred Lowery. The dude just whistles. It's awesome! That's something you don't hear in music these days.

Listen to Andrew Bird! Dude is amazing, and whistles quite a bit.

Andrew Bird is alright. I listen to him some.

This Fred Lowery guy does nothing but whistle though. haha. No singing, just whistling. He does some pretty cool shit with his whistling too.