Question: Possible web based music project

So here's the long story. A few years back a buddy and I were designing a website based around bands and fans where bands could build profiles and communicate with fans and fans could link to the bands profiles and get updates and messages and shit...

Then myspace came and fucked our day up.

Anyhow, we're talking about working on a new project that would be a network for bands, venues/promoters and music supporters. It would allow all three to create individual profiles so a band going on tour can do a search and locate venues, promoters and places to crash in a specific region. It would be different from Myspace because it wouldn't be about marketing or getting fans, just a tool for DIY touring.

I know there's a couple of similar sites (BYOFL.org, most notably) but they're all really spotty and don't do a profile based system. This would be profile, so a majority of your information would be private and contacting would be done through anonymized e-mails (like craigslist).

Anyhow, I'm just kicking the idea around. Do you think people would be into this, or would we just be reinventing the wheel?

So here's the long story. A few years back a buddy and I were designing a website based around bands and fans where bands could build profiles and communicate with fans and fans could link to the bands profiles and get updates and messages and shit...

Anyhow, we're talking about working on a new project that would be a network for bands, venues/promoters and music supporters. It would allow all three to create individual profiles so a band going on tour can do a search and locate venues, promoters and places to crash in a specific region. It would be different from Myspace because it wouldn't be about marketing or getting fans, just a tool for DIY touring.

I know there's a couple of similar sites (BYOFL.org, most notably) but they're all really spotty and don't do a profile based system. This would be profile, so a majority of your information would be private and contacting would be done through anonymized e-mails (like craigslist).

Anyhow, I'm just kicking the idea around. Do you think people would be into this, or would we just be reinventing the wheel?

tourkive.com

tourkive.com

I like this but this is just bands and promoters. We'd also want to include folks who would help put up bands and certainly dudes who do house shows.

I'm not sure if that's a huge difference, but that'd be our plan.

Also, here's a little bit of what we'd be looking at for information:

Bands: number of members, location, extent of touring, typical draw, any required stuff for booking (vegan food, sxe environment, money)

Venues/Promoters: Size of venue (or of venues you use), typical time to book in advance, your usual take, type of set up (venue only)

Houses: zip code (address would be private), # of people you'd accommodate, couches/beds, environment (smoking, drugs, alcohol), any set rules, Parking situation

That's the rough outline, if there's other stuff you think would be important, feel free to let me know.

tourkive.com

I like this but this is just bands and promoters. We'd also want to include folks who would help put up bands and certainly dudes who do house shows.

I'm not sure if that's a huge difference, but that'd be our plan.

all great ideas, but the house show thing wont work due to the highly illegal nature of house shows in most areas. peeps gotta keep on the DL.