QuarkXPress

Ugh, Quark.

I take it they will want you to know the latest version?

I'd honestly say a week is pushing it - but I wouldn't let that stop you from applying for the gig. Focus on typesetting, pagination, creating/working with templates, layout, etc. Don't sweat the fancy stuff - a newspaper job (they still have those?!) is most likely going to be more production than creative.

I can't believe places still use this, indesign shits all over it for layouts. However, i understand you have no choice in this, though but i think you could get the very basics of it in a week. Try getting a text book or learning off the net, pick a page of a magazine/newspaper and try to replicate it. When i interviewed for my job i told them i'd used indesign before and knew how to use it on a mac, i knew neither but managed to get the basics in a few days and went from there. Now im shiiiiiit hot! good luck dude!

I can't believe places still use this, indesign shits all over it for layouts. However, i understand you have no choice in this, though but i think you could get the very basics of it in a week. Try getting a text book or learning off the net, pick a page of a magazine/newspaper and try to replicate it. When i interviewed for my job i told them i'd used indesign before and knew how to use it on a mac, i knew neither but managed to get the basics in a few days and went from there. Now im shiiiiiit hot! good luck dude!

good advice on trying to replicate a page. I will try that.

thanks everyone for the advice/knowledge!!!