Dexter for cheap

i think i'm a big fan of the second season because of how it was truly being made in its own style. i felt like the first season was very by the book (in terms of crime/dramas), cold hard story. the second season had the characters already developed, and it's humor set and decided. plus, when the whole mystery revolves around the main character itself, it doesnt get better than that. i honestly didnt know how they could've topped the second season, but i was pretty disappointed by the third season.

i also realized i find myself laughing at the acting a lot when watching this show. i think in terms of dramas and acting, breaking bad takes the cake.

I think the second and third season got a better budget and the camera work and general production got WAY better.

Really? It's probably true, but I felt that the show has looked progressively cheaper as it has gone along. Like, they seem to use more quick and cheap sets rather than using location shooting for everything.

Not to mention the dropoff in writing - I loved season 1, thought season 2 was okay, but didn't much care for 3. Dexter himself is the only really interesting part of the show, and yet with each season they've been spending increasingly more time on side characters (who are terribly written). And the writers keep on setting up potentially interesting climaxes, but then introduce some deus ex machina near the end of the season that solves everything.

And I don't know if it's the actress or the scripts (probably a bit of both), but Debra has become so annoying and one-dimensional. Do we really need a love story involving her in every season?

/rant

I guess I'm just annoyed because when the show is in top form, it's soooo good. But when it's bad, it's utterly cringe-inducing. Season 4 really needs to put the focus back on Dexter (Michael C Hall acts circles around everyone else in the show) and put the other characters in the periphery where they belong.