East Coast Trains

east coasters - how is the train system between DC, Philly, NYC, Boston and then Hartford?

I am planning a tour up the coast this december and was looking to find the best way to get from city to city - balancing cost, travel time and scenery. do any regional airlines offer cheap ass tickets?

I also was thinking of hitting the cities in that order, maybe swapping Hartford (wedding) for Boston (better airport to get home from)

Amtrak is going to be yr best bet for a one ticket solution, and it will not be cheap. The Northeast Corridor is the only profitable area they have for a few reasons (regional availability, population density, etc) and they charge accordingly. Cheap way to go would be Amtrak from DC to Philly; SEPTA from Philly to Trenton, NJ; NJ Transit from Trenton to NYC; Amtrak again for NYC to Hartford to Boston. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Definitely a good call on flying out of Boston as opposed to Hartford. Bradley is just kind of a dumpy little airport and it's a good 20-25 minutes north of Hartford which would require either a cab or hotel transportation to get to. You can just use public transportation in Boston. I live 10 minutes out of Hartford and work downtown. It's really small so it's good that you have some actual plans.

Also, feel free to ask me any Hartford/CT related questions you have. I work at a hotel so it's part of my job to attempt at knowing a lot of stuff about the area.

Please avoid the Chinatown buses! The operators of these buses flagrantly disregard federal safety rules and their maintenance and safety records are horrendous. They are owned by fly by night entities that skirt all sorts of legal rules about capitalization and if you ever get injured in a bus accident with them, you'll be totally SOL. Bolt Bus all the way.

oh yea bolt bus is amazing my buddy uses it alot!

if you book in advance the rates start at a BUCK...and as seats fill up they go higher and higher...if you book now you could be looking at really fuckign cheap travel!

Bolt doesn't allow you to book enough in advance. I am going to Boston for NYE and want to get all my stuff booked this week, but it looks like with Bolt you can only book like a month in advance.

and Chinatown, even though they've always got me where I was going, are pretty sketchy.