All you married people out there, I need your help

Give her what you can afford. When you're married she'll look down at the ring that didn't put her new family into debt and be proud of you. The three months salary thing is bullshit. Check your family and see if there are any family "heirloom" rings that you have access to. They can be beautiful. Also get her sized. When you're at the mall go to a jewelry store and they'll do it for free. Most ladies wont assume anything other than you might buy them something nice at christmas.

I gave my wife my grandmother's ring. I liked the idea of giving her a part of my family's history. While I didn't do it to be cheap, the fact that we could apply the thousands of dollars I would have spent towards our house made more sense for us. Fortunately, she valued pragmatism more than some girls do.

This is exactly what I did. If this is an option for you, definitely consider it. If not, do like others have said and ask sisters/friends or even her mother (after you talk to her dad first though)

well we talked about it a while before i planned so it was easy but since you have less than 6 months you're gonna have to be smooth. Maybe stop at one of those jewelry places in the mall or something with her and tell her you want to buy her some earrings but you dont know what kind she might like. she will start looking around and after she picks something out joke around with her about a ring and point some out and see what she says. If she just comes right out and asks if you plan on proposing just laugh it off. If she knows you well at all she will most likely be able to pick up on the vibe that you are planning it anyway. Girls have that shit built into them. You will still surprise her but it wont be a total surprise and at least you got her a ring she will love.

It's sort of late and my good ideas make sense to me but maybe not anyone else, I dunno.

get torche to help you ask her to marry you.

Not to be the Debby Downer, but don't put too much thought on the "surprise". Seriously, unless you're the kind of neurotic guy who proposes after a month, chances are if you're thinking about it now, she's been thinking about it. It's still nice to surprise her but women love to know you're that kind of guy and actually talking to her about it tends to be something they really enjoy.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents.

I know my current fiance, in less than two months my wife, knew it was coming but had no idea when and that worked well for a "surprise." That all said I made sure to include her in general shopping trips to make sure she got what she wanted. In her case it was easy, a center mounted princess-cut stone and nothing else.

Also, while platinum is nice and all, frankly it scratches really easily and white gold is just as nice at half the price.

A few other things: Do your homework so you avoid blood/conflict diamonds. Its a nice thing to make sure you're not contributing to a war in other parts of the world. And check out Wiki so you're familiar with cut, color, clarity, and carat, what they mean and in what combination you should get. If you balance them you can maximize the diamond you get.

well we talked about it a while before i planned so it was easy but since you have less than 6 months you're gonna have to be smooth. Maybe stop at one of those jewelry places in the mall or something with her and tell her you want to buy her some earrings but you dont know what kind she might like. she will start looking around and after she picks something out joke around with her about a ring and point some out and see what she says. If she just comes right out and asks if you plan on proposing just laugh it off. If she knows you well at all she will most likely be able to pick up on the vibe that you are planning it anyway. Girls have that shit built into them. You will still surprise her but it wont be a total surprise and at least you got her a ring she will love.

It's sort of late and my good ideas make sense to me but maybe not anyone else, I dunno.

get torche to help you ask her to marry you.

haha I actually asked my new fiance to marry me after a torche show, the funny thing is, it was a perfect suprise, she isnt into torche at all, and totally hated Harvey Milk, so when we got back to her house after everything she just kept saying her ears were ringing and then I went for it, it was the ultimate suprise and she loved it

My fiancee (of about 3 weeks now) and I went ring shopping about 4 months before I asked her to marry me.

It was a great experience, I got to find out exactly what she wanted, her ring size (VERY IMPORTANT) and get an idea of what I could buy with my budget.

After that it was just all about saving for the damn thing and once i did it was long enough for the proposal to be deemed a surprise.

A good friend told me that the Wedding may belong to the bride, but the engagement and proposal belong to the groom.

I do agree with Loki, spend what you can. There is no need to spend a shit load on an engagement ring. Shop around and know what you are looking for. There are ways to cuts tiny corners and get a max savings.. For example, a 1 Carat ring costs a lot more than a .95 carat ring, and there really is no size difference to the naked eye.

Also Sammy brings up an awesome point, try to look for conflict free diamonds. The place where I got my fiancee's ring specializes in that and their prices are pretty reasonable. Check them out.. http://www.brilliantearth.com

Finally just have fun with it, don't stress out about it and don't let her stress you out about it.

Good luck