No More Colored Vinyl?

I call bullshit on this, simply because lead isn't used as a colourant, it is used to intensify colour. Black vinyl also contains lead. If this did happen, vinyl could still be coloured only with paler tones. Also, because many industries rely on colour vinyl, not for not only for records but for numerous other things, i am sure they would find an alternative.

Vinyl, in its natural state, it not black either. It is either powder blackened or dye blackened. PVC pellets for making records are not manufactured within the USA anymore, if I have it right. They are all imported now. I don't think the EPA will allow it to be manufactured here any longer... or... there are tight environmental regulations, as there should be. (Note: this may have changed, but this is what I was told over the last few years.)

There have been several vinyl droughts over the last few years, as plants in the USA bobbed and weaved, dealing withnew PVC manufacturers, supply issues, etc. It is not at all uncommon for a manufacturer to turn out a bad batch of PVC, either in specific colors or across the board. When that happens, the material will not run correctly on the presses.

So... that is some food for thought.

Either way, records are far from environmentally friendly... or in any way necessary. But we love them all the same... and over time, hopefully new materials will become available. PVC made from plant waste, perhaps? Certainly NOT from corn-based sources, as that is a dead end.