hello from china

tim

So I've been in China about 10 days now and just got internet in my apartment. The bad news is, so many websites are blocked here. No facebook, no blogspot, no Onion. Blogs on blogspot were typically where I found new albums to check out, so I'm really hurting for new music these days. Oh well, it's a new school year starting and it's a crazy time to be teaching. Too busy to sit at the computer unless I'm preparing classes. I hope this board can help keep me up to date with new music and not go get this site blocked in China too...

Filesharing sites seem to be ok, but I always found them via blogspots that would link to them. I can't get to any blogs so I'm having a hard time finding files.

I'll be here until the end of June...

Relatives back home should be sending me Alternative Press every month so I should at least be able to keep on top of what's coming out and what to try download.

Of course, I'll still be ordering vinyl while I'm away and coming home to a big stack of records next summer.

Ah....China. Sorry, I just got your PM. What I did when I was there was torrents worked for me most of the time and if not, I proxied it so I was basically connected through China to America. UCLA has this VLN thing that I used too.

Where are you at right now? If you're in Shanghai, let me know so I can get you my friends' #s. Oh yeah. Don't go to Bank of China. Use Merchants Bank. That way you can actually buy shit on the internet (like book cheap airline tickets...)

Man. If you were there LAST year, I'd actually be there but I'm back stateside now.

Most expats proxy everything so they access fbook, blogspot, twitter like that. Good luck with waiting for that stuff to get unbanned...Facebook was working when I was there but then Xinjiang happened and that went to hell.

I used bank of china to withdraw some cash from my bank in Canada. Is there some reason why I shouldn't do that? If there is, I'm not clear on it. Haven't seen Merchants Bank around here.

The other foreigners here have said that finding alternate ways to access facebook and other blocked sites can be pretty risky. I'll have to know more about what I'm getting into.

Hoping to visit Shanghai for a long weekend or whenever I have a handful of days off. I'm a few hours away in Wenzhou.