interested in photography

Need to know a budget. Also, are you interested in film or digital? What sort of photography are you most interested in pursuing?

My suggestion would be to start out cheap and get a manual focus SLR with a 50mm f/2 lens. There are thousands of them all over the place and they sell for cheap. You might even luck out and find one sitting in your grandparents' attic or something. Canon AE-1, Olympus OM-1, Minolta XG-1, etc. are all good cameras that can all be had for under a hundred bucks with a couple lenses. They have fully manual controls, but also have automated exposure to get you started. This type of camera will get you introduced to photography very cheaply, while at the same time teaching you the very basics of photography, which you will need to know no matter what sort of system you start shooting. If you want to take photography seriously you're going to need to know about f/stops (aperture), shutter speed, film speed (ISO), etc. and these old cameras are great for learning that.

Anyways, if you're not sure what you want to shoot yet, an SLR and a one or two lens setup (I suggest avoiding zooms) should help you figure it out. Once you start seeing your results and finding out what you like and don't like you can figure out what sort of equipment you need to help you move forward. However, PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT! Having the right equipment for specific situations helps, but its not everything. I've seen absolutely gorgeous photos come from crappy cameras and crappy photos come from the most expensive high end cameras around.

And yeah, I've been shooting with my camera -- which is a decent digital camera, better than a point-and-shoot but nowhere near as good as, say, a Digital Rebel -- for a little over three years, and still don't know how to use it, really, yet I can still coax some pretty good pictures out of it. It's all about having a good eye for something and being in the right place at the right time (at least for live photography).

Minolta stopped making cameras, didn't they? Or was it just digital cameras? I use a Minolta and I know it's no longer available.

Minolta was bought off by Sony. They were supposed to keep using Minolta stuff to make new cameras, but I don't know if they have. I don't really follow the new digital camera stuff. I still only shoot film (medium format, to be specific). The cameras I originally mentioned are all older SLR's from the 60's and 70's.

However, PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT! Having the right equipment for specific situations helps, but its not everything. I've seen absolutely gorgeous photos come from crappy cameras and crappy photos come from the most expensive high end cameras around.

true story.

like i said before, learn on film and learn how to use a camera. dont drop a grand on a digital SLR cause its not gonna do you any good. Ive been doing live photography for 4 years and Ive had some minor success but lately Ive been really turned off by it because of the influx of young photographers who buy these ridiculous cameras and shoot shitty photos.

I have had my minolta SLR for atleast 13 years and it still works like a champ. i moved to a digtial SLR (nikon d50) when i lost my access to the college darkroom. I really really need a new lens and flash but dont take as many photos as i used to and i dont know if i could drop the money to upgrade any time soon.

• 6 years later...