So, I want to get a Mac, but I'm a cheap bastard.

Windows XP and Windows 7 are both pretty stable Operating Systems. I've been running XP for several years and I've honestly had no crashes. I don't really argue against the Mac operating system but the price they charge you is almost robbery. And the advertising they have for it which is basically if you are doing anything other than word processing or playing games, you need a Mac.

In my experience most people who complain about windows complain about getting viruses and claim that Macs don't have any viruses. When I ask them if they used antivirus, almost all of them all say they used Norton. It's kind of obvious they didn't look into any other software, when just a little scratching at the surface will easily tell you that nobody can honestly recommend Norton over anything else.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':ajm14yh0]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':ajm14yh0]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

One of the main reasons Macs are run better and are far more efficient is due to the integration between hardware and software. Apple knows the exact specs of hardware that their software is running on and they can optimize it accordingly. Windows is designed to work with a endless selection of hardware and has millions of developers creating drivers and the like and this is were conflicts and problems occur.

Another benefit of a Mac is that it requires minimal setting up and has everything integrated making a much more lightweight and resource friendly package. when you turn on a mac straight out the box it works. When you turn on a windows machine straight out of the box you need to go trough a barrage of shit just to make it functional and unless you know what your looking for it cost more money. Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, video drivers then the endless amount of updates due to poor beta testing and security leaks. not to mention updating anti-virus software and the like every other week. there are so many programs running simultaneously that Mac's deals with in one.

That's just the start, i could go on but i hate it when i get a scroll bar in the quick reply box, feels like i am ranting!

This thread boils down to user errors.

If you have problems with Windows, it's generally your fault or a crap diver.

I use all three major operating systems, Windows XP-7, Snow Leopard, and Ubuntu -- so I'm not a fanboy, but I can guide you in the right direction.

First off, what kind of problems are you having with your computer? If you keep a PC updated and practice safe browsing habits you should be fine. If you're installing a ton of random hardware, downloading odd files, not updating, etc... you're bound to have issues and join the Justin Long.

That being said, I don't let my family members buy PCs anymore. They don't really know what they're doing and even years after my assistant and teaching they still have issues. I advice them to buy Macs because they're basically computers for morons. By that I mean, you can't really break them unless you try. Sounds like it might be up your alley then if you can't practice safe commuting habits.

If you want a cheap Apple computer, don't buy new. Go used or refurbished. Last year I bought a Macbook (I forget which model/specs), but it was less than a year old model. I purchased it on eBay (it was new in the box still) for about $600 after a coupon.

You should also consider the Mac Mini. They're not the most powerful machines, but if you already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse you've got a great new Mac for ~$500.

I don't like OS wars, so let's try to avoid them. Operating Systems won't really matter in the future. Everything is going to be web based. Think about your computing habits now. How often do they really rely on the OS? Most of my (personal) computing is done in Firefox.

That being said, both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 are both fantastic operating systems for the time being.

Edit, there's also the option of installing Windows on all new Mac computers. The more advanced option is to dive in and build yourself a Hackintosh on par with some of Apple's best machines for around $500. If you know how to put a computer together, building a Hackintosh is actually quite easy.

One of the main reasons Macs are run better and are far more efficient is due to the integration between hardware and software.

Another benefit of a Mac is that it requires minimal setting up and has everything integrated making a much more lightweight and resource friendly package. when you turn on a mac straight out the box it works.

Two sides to the coin my friend.

One of the main reasons PCs are better than Macs are because you can customize them to your liking and you're not bound by expensive average hardware. There's also a much wider software library for PCs. Oh, and games!

When you turn on a new PC with Vista or Windows 7 it just works! I'm not sure if you've used either recently, but they're very user friendly.

That's just the start, I could go on...

Another thought on computers in general...

I usually tell people to buy laptops these days. I'm biased though. I spend 40 hours a week in front of a computer at work, so I dread using mine at home. But a laptop is nice and portable. You can take it everywhere from the couch to the coffee shop (or even your bathroom). My desktop now is basically a media server.

Dude i agree with the customization and gaming.I maintain a small windows gaming rig, and i am comfortable with keeping on top of windows updates and things its one of the things i try to get through to anyone i help with computers. I think it all boils down to what you want to use the system for. It's just in my experience macs seem more stable. If it wasn't for lack of iphone/itunes support i would probably be a full time Linux user i dual boot Ubuntu and until recently used Mint on a laptop.

I just expect basic things that windows doesn't offer for a basic user who doesn't invest their time in looking for resources and alternatives. You know? I think its perfectly reasonable to expect to be able browse the internet safely and securely with out having to buy or find free 3rd party software. Like wise with video codecs, if you want to watch a video file that your computer can play why should you need to have to search for codecs and install potentially dangerous software, a lot of the time windows doesn't even help with a possible solution.

These are two of my most common problems i get when i get called up to fix a computer.

You still need to download codecs to watch videos on a Mac too. Well, the better option is to download VLC Media Player, because it'll play 99% of the files you throw at it.

You can browse the Internet safely for free on a PC. IE8 is leaps and bounds better than previous versions, but Firefox should really be installed. That's really the only brutal part about it. I run a PC w/out Anti-Virus software. Not everyone should, but it can be done.

I do use VLC player. But from my experience Quicktime auto acquires them, i have never had install a codec pack to a mac, although i don't doubt you. I also use Firefox, but a lot of users i do work for wouldn't even know where to start to find a new browser, they just want a button that makes internet happen.

I think if you are an informed browser visiting only trusted sites and rarely download things then i can see why you wouldn't need anti-virus, i just wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

My point is i don't think you should be expected to to cough up more money and time installing appropriate protection software when so many other OS's give them away free built within the OS.

I mean some of the people on my books thought that because they paid $15 for some torrent software that all their downloads were legal. So trying to explain to them that they need a codec pack to play videos of there Grandson on a big screen was like quantum physics to them. Although not as difficult as explaining to the gentleman of the house where his "Adult" pop ups where coming from and why you should never install anything to get a "free sample".