Holga Cameras

I know there are a few photographers on here, does anyone have a Holga 120N or 120FN? If so what are your experiences? I really want to get an inexpensive film camera just for the heck of it and upon researching it looks pretty neat, however, I'm novice and can be a bit clueless about equipment.

I currently use a Fuji Finepix S1000 FD.

thanks!

You should buy a real camera, not this hipster wanna-be artist bullshit. Built in distortions don't make you creative.

fair enough. I figured this would be a general response based on what I read about it, it's pretty inexpensive though, which is kind of what drew me to it in the first place.

I'd go with a Diana too. I want one so bad. Though I do have a Holga (this is the camera the prof wanted us to buy for our darkroom class) and I love it in all it's weird glory though. There's something endearing about it. I tape mine up pretty well so the light leaks aren't too bad and I got some pretty lovely stuff with it. I haven't gotten around to scanning any of my Holga photos.

I miss shooting with film. My school is poopy and won't let you sign out photo equipment unless you're a photo major or taking a class. It's not like a ton of photo majors use the darkroom that much anyways. :/

^^^ those are sweet, minty, thanks!! looks like there's lots of stuff for me to read on Diana's as well.

thanks!

i think the diana is more flexible than the holga. you can get tons of different lenses (fisheye, telephoto, wide angle...etc) and add-ons like the instant back and the 35mm back (although you can use 35mm with it anyway if you modify the camera with a few household items.)

saying all of that though, i'd still really like a holga to go alongside my other cameras. the key is to have fun with whatever camera you use!

wow, nice pics!

Thanks! Also: from my understanding Holga cameras are very inexpensive and our photographer says that they are an excellent introduction to medium format photography for anyone looking to get in to such a thing. It's likely that if you try Holga and like it that you'll enjoy Diana and other MF cameras that are a little more steep to get involved with. Plus every Holga has different imperfections that make it's pictures unique so you'll end up getting two or three before all's said and done if you like :)

Are you guys talking about the reproduction Dianas they introduced recently? Are they any good? They always looked like expensive Holgas in a fancier dress.

I have an original 1960s Diana, those used to be really sought after, but I don't know how the reproduced ones affected that value.

Holgas are fun but they're just a toy. I've seen some really striking images created with them but they're usually good photos to begin with where the distortion just adds to the overall feel of the image. A lot of people just take pictures of anything and think that the vignetting and distortion makes the photos artsy.

Holgas are great...I don't really understand why anybody thinks that any picture taken with it is automatically art, or why the Hipster culture has latched onto them, but whatever, just tape 'em up a bit and fire away, excellent inexpensive medium format camera.

here's a few shots I've made with the old Holga

[image]

(I just framed this one up yesterday)

[image]

[image]

[image]

here's some I've shot with a Lomo FishEye II

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]