Music Law

some schools have specific classes/courses in music and entertainment law. just like some schools have specific ones for music business.

i went to school for music business. and stopped going cause i <3 diy.

Ahh, hopefully I can find something like that because I want to be a music producer but i'd also like to do some stuff in music law on the side.

there is a school in long island. but i don't remember its name! but there is also Berklee school of music in boston, university of hartford, in CT.

Five Towns?

Hofstra?

Long Island University?

Stonybrook?

Also with Berklee, I think you need to be a musician to get into there, and sadly I only mess around with the drums.

I'll have to check out University of Hartford. Do you know of any in Florida, Chicago, California, or NYC? Since those are the main areas that I'm looking to attend school.

I think it's the University of Colorado -- Denver campus, but one of the local colleges here has a rad music production program.

But by all means go for it. And don't let the DIY vs. mainstream thing get you down. On a basic level it's all the same. It's what happens once you know what you're doing that matters -- what you do with your education.

That said, if I ever find out you're some big time major label A&R asshole that fucks over little bands I'll hunt you down and kick your ass.

I think it's the University of Colorado -- Denver campus, but one of the local colleges here has a rad music production program.

But by all means go for it. And don't let the DIY vs. mainstream thing get you down. On a basic level it's all the same. It's what happens once you know what you're doing that matters -- what you do with your education.

That said, if I ever find out you're some big time major label A&R asshole that fucks over little bands I'll hunt you down and kick your ass.

Well I just started interning with a producer I know. So hopefully I want go to school for audio production, but instead go for a business degree. I don't know yet.

Also, I don't want to be an A&R, so luckily I don't have to worry about you kicking my ass ;)

Well I just started interning with a producer I know. So hopefully I want go to school for audio production, but instead go for a business degree. I don't know yet.

Also, I don't want to be an A&R, so luckily I don't have to worry about you kicking my ass ;)

hahah i think that was more adressed to my DIY comment. hahah but seriously alot of the stuff you can learn on your own, but those classes are good for tiny bits of amazing info.

there is also full sail. but its HELLA expensive.

i think the school in NY is full sail. Oneonta also has an amazing program if i recall correctly. but this is like 5 years ago.

hahah i think that was more adressed to my DIY comment. hahah but seriously alot of the stuff you can learn on your own, but those classes are good for tiny bits of amazing info.

there is also full sail. but its HELLA expensive.

i think the school in NY is full sail. Oneonta also has an amazing program if i recall correctly. but this is like 5 years ago.

Full Sail is in Florida. The producer i'm interning with told me about Full Sail. However, it's not a college, it's more so a trade school.

Also I don't think I'll need to take classes for it if this producer is teaching me.

i meant to say five towns not full sail.

2 of my really good friends went to full sail, they went for live sound but learned alot about recording (mixing, mastering, and production) as well.

you are correct in saying its a trade school, but its tottally worth it if you have the money and the commitment.

i meant to say five towns not full sail.

2 of my really good friends went to full sail, they went for live sound but learned alot about recording (mixing, mastering, and production) as well.

you are correct in saying its a trade school, but its tottally worth it if you have the money and the commitment.

Yea, Five Towns College is like 20 minutes away from me. I've been there before and I don't like it. I don't have the money for Full Sail, so there goes that haha. I'll probably go to a University since those are the cheapest.

my girlfriend actually wants to get into this. she just finished her undergrad stuff in legal studies (pre-law) and is going to get a masters in communications for entertainment law. after that shes going to law school.

as far as california goes cal state fullerton is apparently the only place in the state that has graduate study for entertainment studies/law.

my girlfriend actually wants to get into this. she just finished her undergrad stuff in legal studies (pre-law) and is going to get a masters in communications for entertainment law. after that shes going to law school.

as far as california goes cal state fullerton is apparently the only place in the state that has graduate study for entertainment studies/law.

yeah i've heard that. i also heard that USC has one of the best music/business courses in the country!

I'm actually pursuing this at the moment. I go to University of San Francisco School of Law and am in my second year. There are a lot of schools at have entertainment law programs. I'm studying Intellectual Property/Entertainment law. When looking at schools just take a look at what certificates the school offers.

My wife is an attorney. She would say that while the first year is pretty much routine, you should not just go to ANY school for entertainment stuff. Go to a school where the profs are connected and respected in the biz. It used to be that the best of way guaranteeing this would be to go to school in LA or NYC but I think this is no longer the case.

Even if you don't go work for the (capital I) Industry, you still want to be at a place where all the Big Boy Firms recruit.