help me out - women in art/music topic... blah

So I took this extremely feminist Women in Art class this semester. The end of the semester brings a 12-page paper and 15 minute PowerPoint presentation.

I'm trying to find a way to create a topic that involves women and their involvement in the punk scene in the 1970's, and how this whole movement made some change, but right now the topic is so vague and open-ended.

I need some input/ideas that'll make something click for me and go "oh fuck yeah, I'll go in this direction."

Maybe I'm missing something simple and obvious?

What about the punk songs that women inspired? Instead of focusing on the actual women in the scene, point out how many punk songs are about girls, and how they were a collective muse to so many shitty musicians.

or the implicit sexism that exists when women are sung about in the sole context of how they're ruining some dude's life?

just one more, because it's awesome :

[image]

I'd totally go with Joan Jett though.

*fixture of nascent west-coast punk scene

*the Runaways were the first huge female-fronted rock band, let alone ALL female

*started her own indie label, Blackheart Records - first woman to do so

*hugely successful solo career in the 80s, playing music that was dominated by, and catered to, males almost exclusively

*Bad Reputation is kind of an awesome song

*probably some other stuff too

What about the punk songs that women inspired? Instead of focusing on the actual women in the scene, point out how many punk songs are about girls, and how they were a collective muse to so many shitty musicians.

or the implicit sexism that exists when women are sung about in the sole context of how they're ruining some dude's life?

I'd argue that there are more songs from that genre/ time period looking at women from the opposite standpoint: one of desiring.

I'd argue that there are more songs from that genre/ time period looking at women from the opposite standpoint: one of desiring.

Which can also be quite sexist, even unintentionally.

Guest kylewilliam

you can always go for ladies currently making an imprint on underground music. ps elliot, two funerals, best friends forever, matt and kim, bridge and tunnel, this is my fist, etc.

Here's a quick list of some of the early bands.

East Coast:

Patti Smith

Debbie Harry (Blondie)

Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)

Poison Ivy (The Cramps)

Lydia Lunch

Wendy O Williams (Plastmatics)

Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)

West Coast:

Go-Go's

Lorna Doom (Germs)

Exene Cervenka (X)

Kira Roessler (Black Flag)

Kim Warnick (Fastbacks)

Alice Bag (The Bags)

Penelope Houston (The Avengers)

Julie Lanfeld (Sin 34)

UK:

Poly Styrene (X-ray Spex)

The Slits

Siouxsie Sioux (Siouxsie & the Banshees)

The Slits

I'm sure there are a lot of sites and books out there that discuss this topic.