Can you mount a external HD in your computer?

Most likely you can depending on the hard drive. In the drive enclosure there's a run-of-the-mill hard drive. So pop open the enclosure and you should get a drive. From there it just depends how savvy you are in regards to whom you get to mount it in your computer.

There's a few issues you'll run into:

1) The hard drive is something like SATA and you computer only supports IDE

2) The hard drive is for a laptop and therefore won't mount nicely in your desktop

If you run in to problems like this you can buy a new enclosure for relatively cheap, like $40-$60 or so.

No, Look look up the definition of external.

God you're an idiot.

Sammy, will do. Its out of warranty and I'd like not to lose some of this shit. I popped it open and found much to my dismay ozone smell and a crispy spot on the corner of the drive itself so i'm probably fucked, though its tiny so I might try anyway. My wife thought it was cute that the cat slept on the external cause it was warm so she wouldn't swat the fucker off when she saw it. Now that she's lost the soaps that were on the drive maybe she'll learn. ;)

Is there an enclosure brand you'd recommend? My desktop doesn't have any expansion slots available right now so I'm going to have to go that rout. Balls.

No, Look look up the definition of external.

God you're an idiot.

Sammy, will do. Its out of warranty and I'd like not to lose some of this shit. I popped it open and found much to my dismay ozone smell and a crispy spot on the corner of the drive itself so i'm probably fucked, though its tiny so I might try anyway. My wife thought it was cute that the cat slept on the external cause it was warm so she wouldn't swat the fucker off when she saw it. Now that she's lost the soaps that were on the drive maybe she'll learn. ;)

Is there an enclosure brand you'd recommend? My desktop doesn't have any expansion slots available right now so I'm going to have to go that rout. Balls.

I don't see how the guy who doesn't know what external means can call another person an idiot.

God you're an idiot.

I don't see how the guy who doesn't know what external means can call another person an idiot.

If you're being serious, then you really are a goddamn bufoon.

God you're an idiot.

Reading comprehension goes a long way to understanding. I'll go over this slowly.

Power in external case bricked. Asked if need to get another external case or if can just shove in computer. Answer: both can be done. Success.

Reading comprehension goes a long way to understanding. I'll go over this slowly.

Power in external case bricked. Asked if need to get another external case or if can just shove in computer. Answer: both can be done. Success.

BUT IT'S EXTERNAL DON'T YOU KNOW THE DEFINITION OF EXTERNAL, STUPID?!

Loki, sammy's on the right track, one thing.. depending on your external, your drive may be sata/ide/ 3.5 or a 2.5hd. if it's a 2.5 drive, then you can get a cheaper enclosure, maybe even one that runs off the usb. Those usually will run ya about $20. My friend use to give me 60gb hard drives from work and i'd just buy a enclosure, pop it in and use it as a external.

So before ordering one, make sure it's a 3.5 or a 2.5 as externals can be both sizes and both can run under a power supply (but usually the 2.5's run on power by the usb when plugged in)

Hope this helps.. if not and i missed something, my bad.

First you need to open that fucker up and find out if its sata or ide and the size. They're either 3.5 (big) or 2.5 (notebook). Once you've established that go to new egg and order one of the cheap $10 -$15 enclosures, New Egg also has a free shipping filter in the search bar when you browse the store. Put the thing together it's usually a handful of screws and some snapping together. If the drive starts humming and such that means it's getting power and you're off to a good start. If there's any damage to the drive it ill most likely be by clusters so you should be able to retrieve at least some of the data off it.

amsterdamned

Your stupidity amazes me. "External" hard drives are 98% of the time just a regular hard drive inside an enclosure that will do sata-to-usb or ide-to-usb (or scsi to usb if you must). Which is what makes it """external""". Pop it out of the enclosure, stick it inside your computer case and VOILA. Internal hard drive.

Although I have seen some of them that it's virtually impossible to take out of the external enclosure.