My turntable just died on me...

I was recording some records, stepped out of the room to change over the laundry, came back and noticed the record wasn't playing anymore. Hit "Start" again, and nothing happened, took it to another outlet and still nothing.

I bought the turntable in 2003, its an Audio-Technica AT-PL50. Its a low end turntable, but it was one of the first things I bought for myself once I started working when High School was over.

So any ideas on what it could be? I'm thinking electrical, but I don't know much about the insides of the turntable.

Luckily/unluckily, I was recording when it happened. So here's a mp.3 of the song where it died.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=MVNkSXQycWZrUmwzZUE9PQ

Ugh.

Is the light on? If you lift the platter is the motor running?

It doesn't have a light to begin with, its a pretty basic turntable.

[image]

I took a look at the insides, by taking the platter off, but I don't know what I'm looking for in there. I think its just going to be time to upgrade to something better anyways. It was something decent to start off with.

I've had one similar to this. My first guess would be to make sure the belt didn't break or slip off.

When I took the platter off, the belt wasn't on there, but it was probably because of me taking the thing off. So, I put it back together, but nothing seemed to work. The buttons seem completely unresponsive when its plugged in.