will vinyl go the way of comics?

i know vinyl is kind of making a come back, even though it never really went away, but i was watching this DOC. on comic books, and alot of it is kinda like records.

variant covers

limited edition art

rare drawings

etc.... and then eventually it leads to price gauging and all that stuff. now the comic business is pretty weak.

what do you think?

Guest scriptedrain

It's hard to compare comics and vinyl records because of the cliche of "apples and oranges." Most of us have been music fans all of our grown up lives (and, I'm guessing, long before that). Comics are a niche market. It's not: if you like reading, you'll like comics. With vinyl, you're getting the exact same product you would get whether you listened to it on the radio, your iPod, a stereo, in the club, etc. If you enjoy a band, the option may exist to get their art on vinyl. With the CD market declining more and more each year and the digital market increasing more and more each year, there's still that issue of wanting to own a tangible product; something you can hold and have artwork and liner notes to. Also, it's easy to own 100 albums on your iPod, but owning 100 records is a collection that you have to set time and physical space aside for. There is an appeal there that I think will only grow in vinyl's favor as CDs fade away.

- Jeff

Vinyl probably not, but I wouldn't mind if the obsession over different colors and packaging went the way of comics.

you're fucking nuts, that's half the fun of records. the sound quality is better but all the things you can do with packaging really sets it apart from everything else.