buying a Macbook Pro

Geeks, i need some help.

Anyone know when apple usually update their product range? I know there are some tech savvy dudes on here who might be able to help me.

I wanna replace my current macbook with a 15" macbook pro as the screen and casing are on the way out (useable for a bit i'm sure but could die on me soon) but naturally i'm wary of pulling the trigger on a new one this coming saturday if the products then get upgraded mid jan.

Any advice on when to buy that you guys can throw my way would be awesome!

thanks man!

after reading that i think i'm gonna hold off to see what happens early jan, unless apple offer some sort of protection to people who buy just before an upgrade, which i'm sure i've been told they do.

thanks man!

after reading that i think i'm gonna hold off to see what happens early jan, unless apple offer some sort of protection to people who buy just before an upgrade, which i'm sure i've been told they do.

I was coming here to post that link.

I think Apple gives you protection for like 15 days.

If I were youd, I'd wait until late January. They have a conference scheduled where they'll supposed to announce this new iSlate thing, but they may launch new pros there as well.

They have the macbook on student discount right now for $730.

thanks man!

I was coming here to post that link.

I think Apple gives you protection for like 15 days.

If I were youd, I'd wait until late January. They have a conference scheduled where they'll supposed to announce this new iSlate thing, but they may launch new pros there as well.

They have the macbook on student discount right now for $730.

yeah one of the reasons i'm trying to figure out when to buy is cos my sister is home from uni until next week so i can use her 14% student discount. going on holiday end of the month so i'll see what the deal is when i get back. over here apple will offer a refund for any reason up to 14 days but this extends to 28 if there's a product launch, which is nice!

Looking forward to above-mentioned Apple event...I suspect a new iPhone will be out soon. Lots of iPhone 4 rumors have been floating around the net.

Updated MacBook specs and MAYBE the Apple Tablet?!?!

I would think they'd keep to their normal schedule in regards to launching a new iPhone.

And in regards to returning items after an update launch, on the MacRumors forums last June when the new MBPs were launched, people were complaining that they had to pay restocking fees for laptops they wished to return for the newer ones. Just something to think about. (I personally didn't really get it, as if the computer was good enough for you the day before, it should still be fine. If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you're gonna be waiting the rest of your life.)

Edit - fixed a typo

Looking forward to above-mentioned Apple event...I suspect a new iPhone will be out soon. Lots of iPhone 4 rumors have been floating around the net.

Updated MacBook specs and MAYBE the Apple Tablet?!?!

I haven't seen any iPhone 4 rumors, some little things, but nothing major. That'll come closer to June when they'll probably release a new iPhone.

yeah one of the reasons i'm trying to figure out when to buy is cos my sister is home from uni until next week so i can use her 14% student discount.

Are you serious?! That 14% applies to hardware too? That's unbelievable… Here in the States, Apple offers a great discount to students for software, but when it comes to the hardware, well, you can find better deals on deal-mac.com than what Apple will knock off of the purchase price.

yeah one of the reasons i'm trying to figure out when to buy is cos my sister is home from uni until next week so i can use her 14% student discount.

Are you serious?! That 14% applies to hardware too? That's unbelievable… Here in the States, Apple offers a great discount to students for software, but when it comes to the hardware, well, you can find better deals on deal-mac.com than what Apple will knock off of the purchase price.

yeah serious, i did the same when i was at uni. they knock apple care down to £50 from £200 too

^ They'll probably do that deal again this coming summer, if that's something that interests you (OP). Even if you don't need the iPod, selling it will net you a decent return. (I sold mine for $200, which was essentially another $200 off the price of my MBP on top of the student discount. Got a free printer as well.)