I could use some music recs...

daniel

This is kind of hard as it appears you and I may not be too musically compatible. We listen to a couple of the same bands.

Based on your music list (and some of these may come from a little left field to be based on your list...but I think variety and musical curve balls are a good thing):

Husker Du

Ink & Dagger

fun.

crime In Stereo

Braid

Jets to Brazil

Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground

Algernon cadwallader

Kiss Kiss

Rx Bandits

Mineral

Moss Icon

The Nation of Ulysses

Murder By Death

Q and Not U

Recover

Sunny Day Real Estate

TV on the Radio

Small Brown Bike

Not based on your list at all and me just spreading my folk punk agenda (if you're curious and want something completely different from what you listen to...and if other people want some new music):

Paul Baribeau

Spoonboy

Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains/ Wingnut Dishwashers Union

Eric Ayote

captain chaos

Our compatability is "very high". Thanks!

This is kind of hard as it appears you and I may not be too musically compatible. We listen to a couple of the same bands.

Based on your music list (and some of these may come from a little left field to be based on your list...but I think variety and musical curve balls are a good thing):

Husker Du

Ink & Dagger

fun.

crime In Stereo

Braid

Jets to Brazil

Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground

Algernon cadwallader

Kiss Kiss

Rx Bandits

Mineral

Moss Icon

The Nation of Ulysses

Murder By Death

Q and Not U

Recover

Sunny Day Real Estate

TV on the Radio

Small Brown Bike

Not based on your list at all and me just spreading my folk punk agenda (if you're curious and want something completely different from what you listen to...and if other people want some new music):

Paul Baribeau

Spoonboy

Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains/ Wingnut Dishwashers Union

Eric Ayote

captain chaos

I like a bunch of those bands, will check out the rest. :)

owen owen owen :) if you like kdev you'll like him.

and you have a similar music taste to mine... i'll see what else I can come up with.

Psshhhh you're gonna have to do better than that amber, I'm a big Owen fan. ;)

honestly, just glancing at your list, if you like the Mars Volta*, you should check out the band Yes. TMV is basically a watered down, ill-conceived version of what bands like Yes, King Crimson and Emerson, Lake & Palmer were doing successfully 40 years ago, except with a more Latin-fusion influence and a whole lot more cocaine. The difference is that those bands could craft cohesive songs.

Now, Yes does get kind of dismissed outright as an overly pretentious 70's prog band, which, they honestly were, but the music quality output speaks for itself. Plus as an added bonus you can generally find their albums used pretty easily in discount bins because they get almost zero critical respect. I'd suggest looking for Close to the Edge, Fragile, Going For the One or Tormato. Basically anything from 1972-1981 is gold, save one album: Tales from Topographic Oceans. This record is most like what the Mars Volta does, it's self indulgent wankery at it's finest. This album caused the keyboardist to quit, who was the arranger of the band, it's long winded and chock full of filler.

the album Drama from 81 has a different singer and is basically the bassist's second solo album and in it's own right is a proto-math rock album. That 9 year span has a lot of music to tackle and if you like them I can offer advice to navigate the years since then...and then the solo albums, oh my there are a lot of them. The 3 albums prior to 1972 are all decent psychedelic-pop-ish records, they contain hints of the genius to follow, but overall aren't as rewarding as the majority of their studio albums in the 70's.

*to be honest I haven't heard anything from the Mars Volta since Frances the Mute and that one was boring as hell...also around that time i saw them play like and Cedric threw his mic stand at the monitor guy because he didn't like his monitor mix, so that fit of childish rage during a concert has soured the band completely for me.