January 2010 - Oh Yeah It's Free Sale!

yeah, will change every month, at least, as much as we can (right now we only have four released LPs so until a few of the new ones come out this year, we're going to keep some of them up there for a bit). you really don't have anything to loose. you can literally get 2 CDs, an LP, 3 tees, and a 7" for like $10-12 for almost anywhere in the lower 48 states. hell, even if you don't like the CD you can probably get a solid $2 or $3 at your local used CD store for them! ha. no, really.

Thanks so much for this. I pretty much got one of each free item, and I also orderd the diver 7" and one of the OFWTH cds because I'd feel bad to take all the free stuff without buying something from you guys. Besides all that stuff for 20 bucks including shipping is a total steal. Keep up the good work!

no problem! thanks for ordering! you'd be amazed at the number of people that only get one of the free items and don't bother picking up something else, either for free, or almost nothing (we are selling ALL our cds for $5, or you can pick select cds 3 for $10). we're really just trying to get people to check out all our bands, not just one or two of them. we think we've got some great bands everyone should check out, and if you think it's not worth picking up 2 cds, an LP, a 7", and few tees shirts for $10 to $12 (domestically), not to mention maybe a record you really do want for a bit more, well, we think you're crazy. :)

ordered one of each of the free ones, since I have never heard anything your label has done it should be awesome to spin these.

I think these deals help to build brand loyalty and help develop a reputation with the customer. I got a couple free records from a guy who sells on facebook marketplace from Canada. And anytime I want a record now I go to this guy first. People are interested in free but make no mistake you will always come out ahead, and I will be back if the music is good.

I admire this sort of thing do you remember back when we used to get comps from labels from free from all kinds of places and people would listen to that one song over and over till they eventually bought the album...that is how I discovered most of the music I am into now, free is the best way to get people to buy in the future. This works because CDs are basically useless and I will always listen to a record...no matter what it is.

this post is my appreciation for your work. Thank You!

edit: just a thought maybe you should make all your albums available for free download since there really isn't the restriction of price and material goods to be concerned with.

as much as i'd like to make all of our records free to download on a donation basis, that model just wouldn't work completely. of the downloads of this month's 'download of the month' less than 1% of the people that have downloaded have donated something, and that's indicative of the culture younger music fans live in these days. i'm not saying that's good or bad, but in the long run, we won't be able to operate for long following that model. also, keep in mind, while the record doesn't cost anything to you to download or for us to post it for download, it still cost something to create, whether that be recording, mixing, mastering, or the artwork (which we still feel is a very important aesthetic of what records are and should be).

without going into some lengthy thesis of why we're doing this 'sale', our basic idea is that the punk and hardcore scene has moved on from the days when kids would buy things based on things like hearing bands on a comp or mixtape, or simply buying records because of the label that put it out. there are several reasons for this, but that's an entirely different discussion, and again, not one that i think is either good or bad. things change, move on, deal with it. our decision to run with this idea is that it's more important for our bands and the label for the records to be in the hands of someone that might like the band and support them in the future than sit on the shelves in our office, and that's seeing it from a monetary side as well. in the long run, those records sitting on our selves do no one good, and we feel like we have worked with some great bands and are working with some great ones now too. we hope people will agree, and if you think spending $7 for a shirt from a band you already like is too much, well, you're missing the point of all of this anyway.

thank you to everyone that has ordered so far. it really means a lot to kevin and i. we're going to continue to do this all year, and i think one of the parts that we're really excited about is all the cool t-shirts that we'll be doing this year from not only jump start bands, but some non-jump start bands (who we're not revealing yet), and other exclusive one off's like this months 'arctic splash' tees (which you'd probably have to be from the philly area to understand the inside joke) and other ideas we've got floating around. we print all our own shirts in house too! don't know if a lot of you know that. anyway, way to long of a post, but thanks to everyone for your continued support! really means a lot.

I want to bump this today because I got my free stuff that I ordered I appreciate the response and those are all valid points.

That Jena Berlin 7" is fucking gold too and oh yeah this awesome because I never even heard of your label and I am already a fan. I will be back to pay for some more great music. Also props to Antillectual for using the Creative Commons form of copyright. I love that record just as much, just wish the levels were a little higher but I guess that might come from the mastering rather than the actual way it was recorded.

Thanks for all the extras too I will listen the to the CDs when I find my cd player...

edit: thanks again!

Wow! I got one ever every cd, 2 sets of shirts (M and S), and 3 sets of the vinyl. The shirts are for me and my gf, and the vinyl for me, my gf, and my friend anthony. We're all psyched! Hope I don't get in trouble for ordering too much but the shipping costs was only a little bit more and it sounds like you guys wanna do this to get the music out there. I'm excited for the vinyl, I love propagandhi and I'm sure this new band (new to me!) wont dissapoint! I'll be writing an article about this for my college newspaper. :D

• 2 weeks later...